Select corresponding dimension value

Hi All,

I have my data like this:

List1,List2

ABC, D

ADS,U

BDS, G

ABC, X

When I select "ABC" in List1, there will be two rows that are returned. Suppose I clicked on ABC where List 2 has value X, Is there any way I can recognize which row I used to make selection and thereby select "x"?

Meaning: If I select ABC where List 2 has "X", it need to recognize and select X in List 2

Attached is the example. Please help. Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

When you talk about 'Suppose I click on ABC where List 2 has value X', where are you making this selection?

1) In a list box, there are only distinct field values of List1 displayed,  so there is no unambiguous relation like 'where List2 has value X'. That's why you see two possible values in List2 list box, D and X.

2) In your straight table chart. A selection in a dimension will work more or less like a selection in a list box, selecting the distinct value, not considering the row your making the selection.

When, however, you are making the selection in the expression column, it will select the combination of your dimension values, like ABC in List1 and X in List2.

So, if I understood you correctly, just make the selection in the expression column instead of the dimension.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

When you talk about 'Suppose I click on ABC where List 2 has value X', where are you making this selection?

1) In a list box, there are only distinct field values of List1 displayed,  so there is no unambiguous relation like 'where List2 has value X'. That's why you see two possible values in List2 list box, D and X.

2) In your straight table chart. A selection in a dimension will work more or less like a selection in a list box, selecting the distinct value, not considering the row your making the selection.

When, however, you are making the selection in the expression column, it will select the combination of your dimension values, like ABC in List1 and X in List2.

So, if I understood you correctly, just make the selection in the expression column instead of the dimension.

reshmakala
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you!