Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derekjones
Creator III
Creator III

Parameterised Variable but in an Expression table

Hi All

I'm trying to use the amazing functionality of a parametrised varaible e.g. var=sum($1+$2) so var(a,b)=sum(a+b) but I'm trying to go one stage further and use this functionaity in expressions from a table, so I can store multiple expressions based on dimension choice but on a parameterised basis as what you can do in variables.

If it helps, I've included a simple app with a step by step attempt.

So I've got a data table with two rows of data with the value fields (a, b and c)

I currently have two calculation functions (but I want many in reality, hence why want to store in table rather than individual variables). So I've created two parameterised variables:

vAddFunc=sum($1+$2)

vMultiFunc= sum($1*$2)

In example 1, I can call each function in the table expression and use any of the data columns (so I'm using a and b in my example).

Switching %Field from Add to Multiply chooses each function. However each is it's own variable and requires either conditional expressions in table to pick correct variable or I would need an if statement. So this is not scalable in what I'm looking to do e.g. add many other functions using same parameters e.g. Divide, Double, Subtract etc

So, I look to another neat solution which is to store the expressions in a table that the expression can be recalled by reading that table. So example 2 in the middle shows this 'without' the parametrised variables i.e. fixed expressions for a and b. Here, as you select %Field it determines which expression to use.

So to my final example, I am now trying to merge the two i.e. recall and expression from a table but utilise the parameter functionality of a variable. So I've tried mashing both together (using a variable to recall the table expression which has $ parameters) but I can get it to work 😞 .

Is this just not possible or have a missed out something in my expression definition?

My thanks in advance for any genius suggestions

Derek

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
derekjones
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I solved it myself, working Example 3 attached for anyone that has the same issue or would like to use this functionality. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
derekjones
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I solved it myself, working Example 3 attached for anyone that has the same issue or would like to use this functionality.