Hi,

given e.g. a table:

IDValue
1A
2B
3B
4A
5B

I want to be able to evaluate the surrounding rows of every row.

That means for example to get an expression that results in this additional column:

magic

It tells, how many of the identical values surround the current row up to 2 rows in each direction.

1: is A -> no A in 2 or 3 => 0

2: is B -> no B in 1, B in 3, no B in 4 => 1

3: is B -> no B in 1, B in 2, no B in 4, B in 5 => 2

I want to be able to do this and similar questions.

Another question would be: How many rows with the same value are (sequentially) above me/below me?

resulting in (for above): 0, 0, 1, 0, 0 - because just the B in 3 has another B above.

Thanks for your help!

15 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Looks similar, however this one being string comparison, I wish there was a function RangeConcat() , may be the case could have been handled in an efficient way.

marcus_sommer

Yes, by a string-comparison it will be more difficult but maybe it could be handled with precedes or follows as operators. If not it will be probably far more complicated because a rangeconcat() doesn't exists and AFAIK couldn't also be directly replaced with something similar because it would need a real loop within an expression.

An alternatively could be a quite ugly expression which concats all values with their needed order (might require additional steps) and some algorithm which picked the right values from there - maybe with some pick(match()) but probably within a lot of nested if-loops. By using the desktop client or the IE plugin could be within the easter eggs macro-functions enabled which could be execute appropriate loops. Both alternatives will need a lot of efforts and are rather the worst case ...

- Marcus

MarcoWedel

Hi,

maybe one dynamic solution might be:

QlikCommunity_Thread_272039_Pic2.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_272039_Pic1.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_272039_Pic3.JPG

using this 'magic' expression:

$(='-('&Concat('Value=Above(Value,'&ValueLoop(-vLookahead,vLookahead)&')',')-(')&')')-1

hope this helps

regards

Marco

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you all.

There are many more very useful answers here.

When you are thinking about similar problems, make sure that you check out all the answers below!

sunny_talwar

You can always mark helpful responses in order for helping future visitors find other helpful responses

Qlik Community Tip: Marking Replies as Correct or Helpful

Best,

Sunny