cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhouck01
Contributor III
Contributor III

Session CAL Behavior and Tracking

My organization has a few session CALs for our users so we don't have to specifically assign named CALs for everyone. We're not quite sure about how they will work once we start to hit the limits. I have a few questions:

1. How does QVS determine that a session CAL is being used? For example, if the session timeout is 15 minutes and I open a report with a session CAL then walk away from my machine, will that session CAL be "taken" for the full 15 minutes?

2. What happens when a user tries to log on using a session CAL but they are all currently assigned/taken? Does it give them an error message or does it take a session CAL away from the user, say, with the longest idle time?

3. If a user has a session opened using a session CAL but was idle and QVS took that session CAL away and gave it to another user (if this is possible), what will the original user see when they try to interact with the report again?

4. Assuming all logging is turned on, what will show up in the logs if a user attempts to log on with a session CAL but they are all taken?

Any help here would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

1. How does QVS determine that a session CAL is being used? For example, if the session timeout is 15 minutes and I open a report with a session CAL then walk away from my machine, will that session CAL be "taken" for the full 15 minutes? Yes, the session CAL will be used for the whole 15 minutes. Also, there is a 15 minute quarantine before it can be used again.

2. What happens when a user tries to log on using a session CAL but they are all currently assigned/taken? Does it give them an error message or does it take a session CAL away from the user, say, with the longest idle time? If you have the Possible Session Timeout set it will try to find an inactivate session and take it.

Untitled.png

3. If a user has a session opened using a session CAL but was idle and QVS took that session CAL away and gave it to another user (if this is possible), what will the original user see when they try to interact with the report again? It is possible and if the is a session CAL available they will see a message stating they are reconnecting.

4. Assuming all logging is turned on, what will show up in the logs if a user attempts to log on with a session CAL but they are all taken?
The event log will show "300 Error CAL usage: Access denied! The server is currently out of SESSION CALs"

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

1. How does QVS determine that a session CAL is being used? For example, if the session timeout is 15 minutes and I open a report with a session CAL then walk away from my machine, will that session CAL be "taken" for the full 15 minutes? Yes, the session CAL will be used for the whole 15 minutes. Also, there is a 15 minute quarantine before it can be used again.

2. What happens when a user tries to log on using a session CAL but they are all currently assigned/taken? Does it give them an error message or does it take a session CAL away from the user, say, with the longest idle time? If you have the Possible Session Timeout set it will try to find an inactivate session and take it.

Untitled.png

3. If a user has a session opened using a session CAL but was idle and QVS took that session CAL away and gave it to another user (if this is possible), what will the original user see when they try to interact with the report again? It is possible and if the is a session CAL available they will see a message stating they are reconnecting.

The event log will show "300 Error CAL usage: Access denied! The server is currently out of SESSION CALs"

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
mhouck01
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the information.