cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exfosteve
Partner - Contributor III

Limit the cores for nprint engine installation

I recently deployed nprint (v18 - June 2018) and was provided a  32 core, 64GB RAM server.  I'm connecting to QlikView.  I keep on seeing that anything more than 12 cores can impact performance.  Is there a way to limit the number of cores that the engine can utilize?

7 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

No there is nothing on NPrinitng side - it will use whatever hardware resources are available ...

I assume your server is not a VM, is it?

Yes - indeed more than 12 cores will decrease performance...and if you are talking about 32 cores it can be a big performance drop.

reagrds

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

About performances and some ideas on how to size a Qlik NPrinting computer refer to https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2018/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/Performance.htm.

The 12 cores limit is valid only for QlikView connections and not for Qlik Sense connections.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
exfosteve
Author

Here's what I ended up doing.  I have a Qlikview Server Running Windows Server 2016.  I ended up creating a VM on that server to run a nprint, and IT took back the other server.  So here is what I have.

Physical server - 16 Cores (32 threads) with 64GB of memory

qlikview running on host server

nprint server running on VM (hyper-v) (4 Cores, 16GB of RAM)

Seems to be running okay. I don't have much data on the system.  Look okay to you?

Frank_S
Support
Support

When building out your NP server/ NP engine please check the following link to ensure your NP Server/NP Engine computer has enough resources.

Finetuning and preparing your NPrinting 17/18 Deployment for use with QlikView and Qlik Sense

https://qliksupport.force.com/articles/000034936

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I don't know your specific scenario, but in general this configuration follow our suggestions. For example the ones about the number of cores for Qlik NPrinting Engines in case of connections to QlikView.

If you need better performances you can increase the hardware resources until the suggested linits and after add more Engines.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
amehta
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello all,  we need help here. We have a NPrinting server and a engine which has 12 CPU Each.

However after adding the engine we are noticing that only 4 CPU maximum are getting used. We are not sure why is this happening and not sure what can we do to increase it.

we have set the config property to open 12 qv.exe . adding an engine should we expect total of 24 qv.exe to be opened

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

@amehta 

Amount of cores used is embedded in Qlik's NPrinting Intellectual property (IP) and is not something you will see. The amount of QV.exe used or opened may vary and will be up to 24 but not necessarily 24.

It all depends on algorithms which NPrinting uses to calculate how many qv.exe are necessary to be used.

Thats it

cheers 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.