Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reporter20
Contributor
Contributor

NPrinting - Update existing Powerpoint Report

Hello,

in my company, we are in the process of shifting our reports from Powerpoint to Qlik.
Hence we will use NPrinting to transfer graphs for already existing data within Qlik Sense to Powerpoint and later on add regular powerpoint slides, which data are not yet available in Qlik.

In case there is an update of the Qlik data, is it possible to update an existing Powerpoint presentation (the one with NPrinting slides and non-Qlik slides)? Or do I have to get a new Qlik powerpoint report and add the non-Qlik slides once again?

Thank you !

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

short answer is:

Yes - you can later work on your PowerPoint report in NPrinting. You can edit existing report and add additional charts/content.

What you have to be careful with is the fact that once you use objects in NPrinting you should not delete them, move them in Qlik Sense as you will loose references and you will experience report generation errors.

Make sure you plan it properly! Go and read on https://help.qlik.com details about how NPrinting generates reports, what are the limitations. People often assume things and get caught out on the fact that images are lacking labels or are not fitting on the slide, that images of the tables are truncating data as not all data is being exported as image. All I want to say is that building PowerPoint reports takes planning on both sides Qlik Sense and NPrinting and often requires additional objects created in Qlik Sense so they can be properly used in NPrinting. 

The more time you spend planning the less issues you will get, make sure you consider all limitations ad the ways NPrinting works.

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Reporter20
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you for your answer Lech.
I already learned that there are many limitations when using NPrinting.

However your answer did not exactly cover my question.

What if I created a report in Powerpoint (REPORT1) and added additional slides manually and saved the report.

Then I have to create the same report again (REPORT 1'1) because some data changed.

Do I have to copy & paste the manually slides to the new report (REPORT 1'1) or is there a way that NPrinting updates the objects in the already existing report (REPORT1)?

Cheers! 

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think you missed the concept of how NPrinting works... It always produces new report based on template. Templates dont contain stale data. They contain links to live data coming from Qlik. 

lets go through your previous message sentence by sentence:

What if I created a report in Powerpoint (REPORT1) and added additional slides manually and saved the report.

Answer/Question: What do you mean by that? Do you mean:

• that you have report template in PowerPoint, based on that template you get a daily or weekly or monthly report produced and send to you as PPTX file and you add those manual slides on already produced version?
  • or
  • you mean that you embedded some static content in your NPrinting Power Point template which then will be distributed every time report gets published via NPrinting?

Then I have to create the same report again (REPORT 1'1) because some data changed.

Answer/Question:

• Typically change in data is handled by template so you dont modify your final report - Changed data should come from QlikView or Qlik Sense and be automatically distributed 
  • or
  • Maybe you mean that there are some manual changes you need to do to your report like changing layout or adding extra slides or maybe adding different objects to slides

Do I have to copy & paste the manually slides to the new report (REPORT 1'1) or is there a way that NPrinting updates the objects in the already existing report (REPORT1)?

Answer/Question:

• NPrinting does not update existing reports. Instead it will resend report again with new data . So you will receive new file with up to date data coming from Qlik

If this is not clear I suggest you prepare case study with screenshots and maybe some examples what you consider as data coming from Qlik, what you consider as data which needs to update etc...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.