9 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2012 1:23 PM by groizner RSS

Calculated Dimension

Julie Stephens

I have a table of Vendors (e.g., Apple, HP, Dell, Sony) and I would like to compare results from 1 selected vendor to the result of everyone else. For example, let's say that my selected Vendor is 'Dell':

Vendor Sales (ThisYr) Sales (LastYr)
      Dell $100,000 $125,000
      Others $500,000 $550,000

Can I use a calculated Dimension for this, where 'others' would represent an aggregated total of non-selected vendors?

• Calculated Dimension
          Julie Stephens

BTW...I've hardcoded a calculated dimensions as follows:

1. Vendor = 'Dell'
          2. Vendor <> 'Dell'

The results are fine, but the table is displayed as follows:

1. -1
          2. 0

I've tried substituting 'Dell' with vCurrentVendor, but then the results are not broken out into 2 lines as I would expect, but rather combined into one aggregated amount.

Is there a better way to do this and have my results presented as in my original post above?

• Calculated Dimension

I was going to say:

=if(vendor <> GetFieldSelections(vendor),'Others',GetFieldSelections(vendor))

but it doesn't work.... :(

however this does:

it seems that of course when you make a selection, you then get the "others" data as excluded and hence wont show. I'll have a think.

• Calculated Dimension
                Oleg Troyansky

In order to create your dimensions, you need to use "Synthetic Dimensions" - look them up in the Help Section.

The first value would be only(Vendor) and the second value would be a constant "Others".

In your expressions, you'll need to use function IF() to question the value of your synthetic dimension, in order to choose the relevant expression.

• Calculated Dimension
                Michael Solomovich

I'm sure that you can resolve this using set analysys. There are examples in Help that you can use.