Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tobiasaechter
Contributor III
Contributor III

clear field selection based on selection criteria in other field

Hi,

I am using QlikView 12 and have two fields for this case. 
Field1 = business, Field2 = Geography

In field1 I have only one value. In field2 I have multiple values (1-10) but for example only for value 1, 2, 3 we can achieve meaningful results in combination with selection of field1.
(there is other business fields in the dashboard as well which work for all Geo selections, hence I cannot just exclude some Geos from Field2)

Currently I have set field1 (business) to be only visible if the user selects  1, 2 or 3 in Field2 (Geo). With this I try to avoid that the user selects Field1 + any value 4-10 in field2 as this would result in meaningless data points. 

But is there any way how to create a "clear field" statement which would clear field1 if the user selects any value 4-10 in field2.

For example the user selects 1, 2 or 3 in field2, then field1 becomes visible and he selects field1. But if in the next step the user changes the selection of field2 to anything 4-10, this would still be possible.  (with the selection field1 would hide again but keep being selected)
Can I permit this selection somehow?

I hope I explained it somehow understandable

Thank you

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Sounds like you just need to load the combined data, perhaps, rather than two individual fields? Standard excluded value behavior would then apply.

Load * Inline [

Field1, Field2

Business, 1

Business, 2

Business, 3

SomethingElse, 1

SomethingElse, 4

SomethingElse, 5];

davidjames45
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It sounds like you're looking for a way to dynamically clear the selection in Field1 if the user selects any vale from 4-10 in Field2. In QlikView, you can achieve this using conditional show/hide expressions and actions.

One approach would be to create a conditional show expression for Field1 based on the selection in Field2. You can set up the expression to show Field1 only when Field2 is selected with values 1, 2, or 3. If any value from 4-10 is selected in Field2, Field1 will be automatically hidden.

Additionally, you can configure actions to clear the selection in Field1 whenever the user selects values 4-10 in Field2. This ensures that if the user switches their selection in Field2 to any value outside of 1-3, Field1 will be cleared.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need further clarification.

Regards,

漫画raw

marcus_sommer

IMO is the approach to hide fields + field-values not expedient to provide the most valuable insights. Missing values and/or a bad data-quality and/or missing associations between tables/fields are very common and not mandatory an error in the data or the views else the TRUTH behind the data-set. Therefore I suggest to remain by it and saving a lot of efforts/complexity/performance by skipping such methods.