Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Working with Calendar and creating a Timeline

Hello everyone,

I´m trying to create a timeline where it shoudl be displayed important dates from my database according to the real time.

So, for instance, the timeline will display the Years, and some important event dates from my database:

Fields:

Event 1 = 01/07/2010

Event 2 = 10/12/2015

Event 3 = 18/09/2018

The timeline should be able to display the dates above according to the real time, (past, present and future), and the user will view where are the Events 1, 2 and 3 relataded from today´s date.

Doubts:

How should i create the Min Date and Max Date for the timeline, since my dates can be updated anytime in the database. So the timeline should be able to set the Min and Max Date according with the dates that will be displayed.

What type of chart is better to displayd this kind of situation?

Regards,

10 Replies
sunny_talwar

Is this something you are trying on the front end of the application?

Not applicable
Author

Yes, the user needs a friendly view of the dates represented in a timeline.

Something like that:

timeline.png

sunny_talwar

I am guessing that Events are also inputted on the front end. if that is true, you can use the Min() and Max() from your inputted value to frame your timeline. I am not entirely sure how you plan on displaying the information, but this is just an idea.

If you have a qvw you can share or elaborate a little more, may be one of us can offer a better solution.

Not applicable
Author

Actually, all Events dates comes from an excel file, so i will use the fields from this Excel to display the dates in the timeline. I just need to set up a timeline and display the events dates in the right position according with the time. The timeline should be able to display the Event1 date (01/07/2010) above the 2010 position of the timeline, the Event 2 (10/12/2015) should be right above 2015 of the timeline, and so go on...

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Not applicable
Author

It is similar on the examples given, but my case i don´t have a period (initial date and final date).

I just need to display the exactly date for the events.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you need to create an interval, you can do it like

Creating a Date Interval from a Single Date

Maybe you can also just use a (line) chart with continuous axis and using a symbol with values on data point to display your events.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for you answer swuehl !!

Actually i don´t need to create an interval... I just need a timeline starting in a specific year (ie 2008) and ending in antoher specific date (ie 2020). The events dates should be displayed in the right position of the year informed in the database (csv).

Supposing the EVENT XPTO is in 01/07/2012, i would have somenthing like that:

timeline.jpg

But i have more than one event to display in the timeline... I am not sure if i can use the chart above, maybe in this type of chart it is possible to display only one single date with the black line.

Hope it is clearer and thanks again for the help!

Regards

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe using a line / combo chart?

MyEvents.png

edit:

See also

Re: Timeline