Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DNeri
Contributor II
Contributor II

Total row in pivot table with null value

Hi,

I have an expression as follow:

=if(dim=a, 123*sum(time), if(dim=b, 234*sum(time), if(dim=c, 345*sum(time)))).

I understand that for the total, it cannot calculate the expression due to the fact that there is not a specific dimension, but is there a way around?

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Take a look at the attached qvw file. I've created an example where I have two working expressions. One using pick match and one using your nested if expression. (I made some adjustments to my previous expression like adding ' ' and moving the sum to include everything. I also added an aggr to your IFs)

Pick(Match())
=sum(Pick(Match(dim,'a','b','c') ,123, 234, 345) * time)

Nested IFs
=sum(aggr(if(dim='a', 123*sum(time), if(dim='b', 234*sum(time), if(dim='c', 345*sum(time)))), dim))

image.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

You could change the total from expression total to sum of rows.

Or maybe it can be solved  by changing to this expression.

Pick(Match(dim,a,b,c) 123, 234, 345) * sum(time)

DNeri
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you Vegar for your quick response.

I cannot change the total from expression to total of rows, because that option in my case is greyed out.

I thank you for teaching me this new function (Pick and Match) instead of multiple IF statements, I do prefer it.

Unfortunately, in the Total is still showing Null as value.

Vegar
MVP
MVP

Take a look at the attached qvw file. I've created an example where I have two working expressions. One using pick match and one using your nested if expression. (I made some adjustments to my previous expression like adding ' ' and moving the sum to include everything. I also added an aggr to your IFs)

Pick(Match())
=sum(Pick(Match(dim,'a','b','c') ,123, 234, 345) * time)

Nested IFs
=sum(aggr(if(dim='a', 123*sum(time), if(dim='b', 234*sum(time), if(dim='c', 345*sum(time)))), dim))

image.png

DNeri
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you Vegar,

your suggestions work perfectly.

Thank you so so much!