cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exfosteve
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

System error: Failed to open file in write mode for file

I have a qlikview instance running, and it loads data every 15 minutes.  Every couple of weeks, there's an issue.  I get the following: "System error: Failed to open file in write mode for file".   The files are all available.  I found what I have to do is open up the impacted files, and them write them to a new file.  then my data load scripts work fine.

the question is why does this happen and how can I prevent it?  It's frustrating for me and my user base

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
NadiaB
Support
Support

Hi @exfosteve 

It seems you are having problems with QVD's being locked, please refer to the following articles:

How to resolve problems related to locked QVD files

Concurrent Read and Write from/to a QVD file may result in one of the tasks failing

Process Monitoring - How to find locked files and the processes locking them

Note: if this suggestion helps to resolve the issue or answers your question, it will be appreciated if you select the "Accept Solution" option.

We encourage you to visit our Knowledge Base https://qliksupport.force.com/QS_CoveoSearch when trying to find a solution related and not limited to: errors, feature requests, product defects. You can also visit our Qlik Help portal https://help.qlik.com/

Don't forget to mark as "Solution Accepted" the comment that resolves the question/issue. #ngm

View solution in original post

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Steve, did Nadia's links get you what you needed?  I am pretty certain those should be on the right track given the messaging, it would appear when the issue occurs things are likely running slower than normal etc. and you end up with a file lock somehow that will not release.  Given it cannot be opened for write does indicate the file is already opened for read somewhere...  What I would be looking for is a hung QVB process potentially if you do not have anti-virus etc. running...  If Nadia's links helpd, be sure to give her credit by using the Accept as Solution button on her post, if you are still struggling, please provide an update.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
NadiaB
Support
Support

Hi @exfosteve 

It seems you are having problems with QVD's being locked, please refer to the following articles:

How to resolve problems related to locked QVD files

Concurrent Read and Write from/to a QVD file may result in one of the tasks failing

Process Monitoring - How to find locked files and the processes locking them

Note: if this suggestion helps to resolve the issue or answers your question, it will be appreciated if you select the "Accept Solution" option.

We encourage you to visit our Knowledge Base https://qliksupport.force.com/QS_CoveoSearch when trying to find a solution related and not limited to: errors, feature requests, product defects. You can also visit our Qlik Help portal https://help.qlik.com/

Don't forget to mark as "Solution Accepted" the comment that resolves the question/issue. #ngm
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Steve, did Nadia's links get you what you needed?  I am pretty certain those should be on the right track given the messaging, it would appear when the issue occurs things are likely running slower than normal etc. and you end up with a file lock somehow that will not release.  Given it cannot be opened for write does indicate the file is already opened for read somewhere...  What I would be looking for is a hung QVB process potentially if you do not have anti-virus etc. running...  If Nadia's links helpd, be sure to give her credit by using the Accept as Solution button on her post, if you are still struggling, please provide an update.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.