Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qv.exe /r non interactive (avoid dialogs)

Hi all,

I have a w2k8 scheduled  task that performs a dashboard synchonization.

The task executes something like:

qv.exe /r /nosecurity "c:\mydashboard.qvw"

The problem comes here. The load script imports data from sources and sometimes these sources can be not available.

What happens? Easy, the reload task remains stalled because of a prompt dialog is displayed and no asnwer is provided. The way to know that this happened is killing the task, opening the dasboard log and executing the reload in a windows session.

My question is: is there any way to reload the dashboard using qv.exe in a 'noninteractive way' in order to avoid any promp dialog?

I know that I can avoid any script error....but this is dangerous.

Regards,

JOS

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jos,

The answer is ErrorMode =2, setting ErrorMode will ensure that job exists instead of hanging and waiting user response, when there is failure (non-interactive)

Have a read of Error Variable...

Regards
Kulbir

View solution in original post

5 Replies
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

This may or may not work but you can turn off Warnings from within the script, all you need to do is to add:

Set ErrorMode =1;

Place it after the date format 'Sets' at the start of the script.

Search for 'Error Variables' in the Help file.

Fingers crossed,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd

Qlikview Design Blog: http://QVDesign.wordpress.com

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jos,

The answer is ErrorMode =2, setting ErrorMode will ensure that job exists instead of hanging and waiting user response, when there is failure (non-interactive)

Have a read of Error Variable...

Regards
Kulbir

Not applicable
Author

It might be seen as rather dangerous to use ErrorMode but hanging up and waiting for a response and stopping other reloads is arguably even worse!

It is possible to make it less so though.

I have spreadsheets that contain the email address of the developer(s) and also of the key user/administrators of the document. When the document is reloaded in batch (using the /r switch) I also pass the named pair of a variable VRELOAD so I can detect this in the script.

Here is the code - note the comments re the alerts (jpeg attached) and OnPostReload actions.

LET vDocumentName = capitalize(trim(replace(upper(DocumentName()), '.QVW', ' ')));
SET vRelPath = '..\'; // path to server folders
SET vUserPath = 'J:\pathname\'; // path to user maintained folders

// If any errors in batch reload then ignore them and let the script finish - as ScriptErrorCount <> 0 an alert will fire
// to email the developers. A separate alert fires to email the (data) administrators confirming the reload and the counts
// of script and other errors.
// Note OnPostReload action (which is always executed even if the script had errors) sets VRELOAD to 0 and ErrorMode to 1
IF VRELOAD = 1 THEN

SET ErrorMode = 0; // batch - ignore any failure and alert is triggered at end

[tDevelopers]:
LOAD concat(distinct [Developer Email], ';') as Developers
FROM $(vRelPath)Developer.xls (biff, embedded labels, table is [$(vDocumentName)$]);
LET vDevelopers = peek('Developers', 0, 'tDevelopers');
DROP TABLE [tDevelopers];

[tAdministrators]:
LOAD concat(distinct [Email address], ';') as Administrators
FROM $(vUserPath)Distribution Lists.xls (biff, embedded labels, table is [$(vDocumentName)$]);
LET vAdministrators = peek('Administrators', 0, 'tAdministrators');
DROP TABLE [tAdministrators];

ELSE

SET ErrorMode = 1; // interactive - halt on any failure

END IF

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

set ErrorMode =2 is good enought for me...thanks all you

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I have the same problem and when I try to run a batch that reload the data

Qv.exe hangs.

Did I set Error Mode inside the load Script ?

Regards

Oronzo