Skip to main content
Announcements
Announcing Qlik Talend® Cloud and Qlik Answers™ to accelerate AI adoption! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Questions regarding export/import & sharing bookmarks

Dear Community

I read a lot about bookmarks in the last few days and try to find out if there is a way to achieve following requests:

1. Share (Export/Import) bookmarks between users and different QWVs (identical field names) in an server-client environment

Share bookmarks between users is not a problem but to share bookmarks between different QVWs is a different topic. What I read so far is that using QvServerObjectConnector (QV PowerTool) with a VB macro could achive this. Unfortunately my VBScript skills aren't very advanced and if someone could share his/her experience with such a case, I would be very grateful.

2. Export this shared bookmarks and make them editable (e.g. in an additional qwv)

Another request is to make this shared bookmarks editable. I am not sure if this is possible to achieve and if how.

3. Use a master bookmark file to re-import necessary bookmarks to a QVW regarding user rights (on the server)

I couldn't find anything about the possibility to restrict access to shared bookmarks. Please correct me if I am wrong but as soon as create a bookmark and decide to share it, it will be shared with every user which has access to the qvw.

4. Export/Import bookmarks from QVW (server) to local client (desktop version)

As far as I understand this is not possible due to the difference of local and server bookmarks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The user should just push different buttons for

1. Export his new created bookmark

2. Import bookmarks from "Master bookmark file"

Every help is appreciated.

Best regards

Ronny

8 Replies
Not applicable

Any updates on this?

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

not yet.

Not applicable

I got in touch with Qlik support and they basically said there is not much flexibility at all here. We can edit bookmarks with a server tool (say the owner or ID), but can't do much more.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

There is a way to export specific bookmarks as XML from the shared object file of a document. You can use one of the Power Tools 1.2 for QlikView to do that.

However, there is no PowerTool to import them in another shared object file. And I still haven't managed to import a random bookmark into a QVW document using QV Desktop's Bookmarks->Import... or File->Import->Import Document Layout... feature.

So this is still half of a solution, sorry...

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Albert,

Yes that's right. Especially when their is a request to just have one bookmark type which could be shared in a simple manner and also available via AccessPoint and local client. No solution so far.

Regards,

Ronny

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Peter,

For some specific tasks Power Tools are a good solution but to make it possible to share a bookmark between different user and between different QVWs (same structure, different data sets) are a different story. Still working on it.

Regards,

Ronny

Not applicable

Unfortunately, we have advised our users to use the bookmarks at their own risk as we cannot support the feature properly. It is a shame because the idea of bookmarks are incredibly useful in BI.

There is no way to troubleshoot a broken bookmark that I'm aware of. Even using PowerTools, it doesn't show broken bookmarks--which I thought it would since it has a filter to show errors.

Honestly, having full support of bookmarks would be a very big value add here. Our BI team works very hard to produce powerful analytics leveraging Qlik. Our users then go in and setup multiple bookmarks so they can present on these analytics, but then these bookmarks break intermittently. It is not a good look for our team or QlikView. Since we can't troubleshoot the bookmarks properly or debug before releases, it has our hands tied on the issue. I really hope you guys do eventually support this feature as its a fundamental way users interact with Qlik.

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Working on a different solution to enable users to create personal and shared bookmarks and share them between different applications (similar data). Still a lot of work to do to get it work properly.