cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview 11 for developers - Linked objects

Chapter 6 Page 160 : Verse 3

Blessed is he who understands that -

"QlikView treats them (an object and its copy in a CONTAINER) as linked objects (one object sharing the same properties and IDs, but in different locations)."

I don't understand the meaning of "but in different locations" in the above. Please help me to understand it so that I will be able to get entry into Qlikview heaven.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

When you use any object in Container, these objects are actually like a clone of original objects and both are linked with each other and having the same properties.

Consider that you have a bar chart with Object ID CH01 in your SHEET 01

Now you want this chart to be used in Container in SHEET 05.

When you select CH01 in your container, this Bar Char is now in two different location with same properties.

If you delete CH01 from you container it will ask you

Delete Selected

Delete All

Cancel...

Delete Selected will delete CH01 from container of SHEET 05 only

Delete All will delete CH01 from Container of SHEET 05 and SHEET 01 both

Hope this will clear your confusion...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

When you use any object in Container, these objects are actually like a clone of original objects and both are linked with each other and having the same properties.

Consider that you have a bar chart with Object ID CH01 in your SHEET 01

Now you want this chart to be used in Container in SHEET 05.

When you select CH01 in your container, this Bar Char is now in two different location with same properties.

If you delete CH01 from you container it will ask you

Delete Selected

Delete All

Cancel...

Delete Selected will delete CH01 from container of SHEET 05 only

Delete All will delete CH01 from Container of SHEET 05 and SHEET 01 both

Hope this will clear your confusion...

cfz
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi John,

Linked objects look like a copy of each other but in fact are the very same .They are not two objects that look the same because one is the result of copy/paste the other. Look at the example attached and change the charts, you will see the difference and find out which two are linked. In different locations mean that you can put the linked objects in for instance different sheets

I hope it helps.

Carlos

barryharmsen
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You can also find more information about linked objects on pages 167 - 169, including an exercise that demonstrates the difference with a 'regular' copied object.