Announcements
Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem with Dayname function

Hello, I'm very very new to Qlikview.  I have a problem with Dayname function along with another problem with Day but i guess solving this one will solve the other too.

I'm trying to make a dashboard from the data I take from a SQL database.

Time is held on a DOCUMENT_Date field on the database  in "2013-11-12 00:00:00.000" format.

When I use DayName ("DOCUMENT_DATE") the output list is in DD.MM.YYYY (i.e 01.11.2013) format instead of day names.

I tried DayName ("DOCUMENT_DATE", 'YYYY-MM-DD') and  DayName ("DOCUMENT_DATE", 'YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss[.fff') but both gave me blank lists.

Also the problem about the Day function is that it's giving me months list instead of a day list but I guess solving the above will solve it too. I hope I'm not being very optimistic

What am I doing wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

What is the output you are expecting? DayName() function does not take a format parameter. If you are trying to get day names like : 'Sun', 'Mon' then you can try with WeekDay() function.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

What is the output you are expecting? DayName() function does not take a format parameter. If you are trying to get day names like : 'Sun', 'Mon' then you can try with WeekDay() function.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Ege

Try the Weekday() function instead.

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ege

Please refer Help, you will get more details

1)

dayname ( '2006-01-25 16:45' ) returns '2006-01-25' with an underlying numeric value corresponding to '2006-01-25 00:00:00.000'

dayname ( '2006-01-25 16:45', -1 ) returns '2006-01-24' with an underlying numeric value corresponding to '2006-01-24 00:00:00.000'

dayname ('2006-01-25 16:45', 0, 0.5 ) returns '2006-01-25' with an underlying numeric value corresponding to '2006-01-25 12:00:00.000

2)

=weekday( '2013-11-14' )   O/P THU

Not applicable
Author

Thank you and other responders for hep, I managed to get the day names as I wanted but I still can't extract the Day from the Document_Date. I'm trying to create a day list in day numbers.

I tried 3 different approaches as ;

Date# (Day("DOCUMENT_DATE"),'YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss[.fff]')

Date# (Day("DOCUMENT_DATE"), 'DD-MM-YYYY') ,

Day ("DOCUMENT_DATE")

but all three are giving me a month list instead of a day list. Can you help me with this one too?

DOCUMENT_Date field in database is in YYYY-MM-DD format

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Try like:

Day(Date# ("DOCUMENT_DATE"),'YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss[.fff]') )

Not applicable
Author

Didn't work, gave a blank list. Any other ideas?

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Sorry, parenthesis error!

Try:

Day(Date# ("DOCUMENT_DATE",'YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss[.fff]') )

Not applicable
Author

I noticed that at your first respond and typed with correct paranthesis, that was the time it didn't work

tresesco
MVP
MVP

One more correction , remove '[]' around 'fff' like:

Day(Date# ("DOCUMENT_DATE",'YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss.fff') )