Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Numeric data is evaluated as null even though I can see values when looking at the table.

I am building a data model which has a field that is used as the expression in a straight table chart to determine if the record should be displayed on the table.

I am using "RowNo() as Show", to get the value for the filed.

When I look at the table, my data model has values in this field.

QV1.png

Mouse over shows that the Show field has 100% Information density.  So no nulls.  The following screen shot shows the data in the table.  The Show column has values 1 and 2 for the 1st and 2nd rows.

QV2.png

My expression uses a simple =Show definition which should show a row if it has a value.  And hide if it is null.

QV3.png

The straight table chart under the settings box has Show defined as in the above screenshot, while the bottom straight table chart has Show defined as in the settings popup in the screenshot below.  Notice that the Show column displays -1 which means that the value is null.  I am quite confused how I seem to have data but my expressions are treating the data as null.  Any ideas?

QV4.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

May be there are more than one value to show and that is why Show alone is defaulting to null. Can you try this -> Concat(DISTINCT Show, ' | ') to see what all values does show take for a particular row

View solution in original post

3 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be there are more than one value to show and that is why Show alone is defaulting to null. Can you try this -> Concat(DISTINCT Show, ' | ') to see what all values does show take for a particular row

Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you're using =Show as then you're using an implicit aggregation. Qlikview will apply the Only() function. So =Show is actually =Only(Show). The only function only returns a value (hence its name) when there is only one possible value. If for the combination of dimension values on the row of the chart there are two or more values, e.g. 1 and 2, then the result of only(Show) will be Null. Try for example Sum(Show) instead. You'll likely see results then instead of nulls.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Both answers were correct.  It was an issue with the dataset.