Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to split or modify elements of a dimension?

Hello,

I am stuck with a little problem:

1. In a sheet I have a chart with the dimension TOWNS(Town A, B, C, and so on...) where values are summed and displayed as a bar chart.

2. Unfortunately the results for the very big town A are huge and and therefore graphic charts look quite ugly.

3. Therefore I´d like to split the big town A into several smaller parts, something like A1, A2, A3, B, C,..., depending on postal codes – which I have available in another table.

4. So in the end TOWNS should look like A1, A2, A3, B, C, D, …

I think it can be done by creating an inline table consisting of all towns and postal codes, but as both tables are very big, I fear I´d end up with an inline table of several hundreds lines of length - that´s something I´d prefer to avoid.

Does anyone know a better or any solution at all?

1 Reply
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If your Towns and postal codes are linked correctly, you could try using a calculated dimension:

=if(TOWNS = 'A', 'A'& [postal codes], TOWNS)

If you get what you want with a calculated dimension, I suggest adding a new field to your data model in the load script with this expression and use this as dimension.

If your TOWNS and postal codes are not correctly linked, it would be good if you tell us a bit more about your model and/or post a small sample app.

Hope this helps,

Stefan