Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamG1
Contributor II
Contributor II

Filtering list box values based on selection

Hi All,

I've just started my QV adventure and I'm struggling with a most likely trivial problem: how to make a functioning filter hierarchy for my chart. I've tried few approaches, including multi boxes and vertically stacked pivot dimensions but they don't cut the mustard for me. I'm now leaning towards using simple list boxes with expressions to control which values are presented for users to select.

Can somebody help me understand how can one get a list of values based on selection in another column? Let's say I have one flat table (let's call it "Sales") with a measure column (let's call it "Revenue") and three other columns I'd like to become part of one dimension hierarchy ("Salesperson", "Branch", "Region").

How do I write a Qlik equivalent of SQL SELECT Salesperson FROM Sales WHERE Branch in SelectedBranches()? I know about GetFieldSelections() and Match() but so far can't get them to work when multiple values are selected?

Any advice will be welcome.

PS I've read all the previous posts on the subject and couldn't find any good (dumb enough for me) explanation. I'm also pretty sure I don't want to use multiboxes or have anything to do with "Hide excluded", which is an atrocity in terms of UX.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi 

before you waste your time on making Qlik to work like query hierarchy tool ,

if you want to gain the most business value from you Qlikview 

you should use the simple listbox with the base fields , 

so when a selection is made the relevant values are colored white , and unrelevant are colored gray 

so user can see which combinations does not exist in your data set , 

this is one of Qlik strength for over 20 years  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi 

before you waste your time on making Qlik to work like query hierarchy tool ,

if you want to gain the most business value from you Qlikview 

you should use the simple listbox with the base fields , 

so when a selection is made the relevant values are colored white , and unrelevant are colored gray 

so user can see which combinations does not exist in your data set , 

this is one of Qlik strength for over 20 years  

AdamG1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

That's generally a very good advice and I did read up a bit about Qlik's way of doing things. Unfortunately I have quite specific requirements for my project and I don't think that out of the box data model/controls will work. 

Can you help me in building the expression I'm after?

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

The best place to search for ideas would be the following area:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/bg-p/qlik-design-blog

I agree with the other poster though, you are attempting to use our product for something it is not really designed to do, so the end result is likely not going to perform well etc., you may want to look at other solutions that may be a better fit in this case given the requirements.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
AdamG1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks, Brett. Since my original post I've learned to accept Qlik's way of doing things and built few functional dashboards.