cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedSky001
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Extract all meta data

We have a .qvw file with hundreds of expressions and charts.

I want to extract all the meta data and perform analyses.  For example return all the sheets and object names where an expression label is equal to 'x'

I cannot figure out a way of doing this.  The things I've tried are:

• Expression Overview  - I exported the results however this will return a label only if it's an expression (ie '=X)' not a literal (i.e. 'X')
  • Rob wunderlich's DocumentAnalyzer. - This didn't return the label if it was a literal value only an expression.  (same as expression overview)

The last resort is to create project files.  I can see the .xml files have the label name however I will have to write a program to parse these files and I'd rather not re-invent the wheel if it's already been done.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mark

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a few tools that help you look at the metadata in your documents such as meta monitor and the Governance Dashboard but there is another way of looking at the meta tables in your document. I am not sure how the labels are shown though.

Start by opening "Table Files" just as if you were going to load an .xls file. Select all files and choose the .qvw file you want to look at. When the file opens in the wizard it doesn't make any sense but when you select xml as a file type you will be able to se the meta tables. In the sheet object table you can see the caption of the objects among other things.

Skärmklipp.PNG.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a few tools that help you look at the metadata in your documents such as meta monitor and the Governance Dashboard but there is another way of looking at the meta tables in your document. I am not sure how the labels are shown though.

Start by opening "Table Files" just as if you were going to load an .xls file. Select all files and choose the .qvw file you want to look at. When the file opens in the wizard it doesn't make any sense but when you select xml as a file type you will be able to se the meta tables. In the sheet object table you can see the caption of the objects among other things.

Skärmklipp.PNG.png

Not applicable

I was going to suggest Rob Wunderlich's app but alternatively try the QlikView Governance Dashboard available here: http://market.qlik.com/qlikview-governance-dashboard.html (you need a QlikView Server)

Gysbert_Wassenaar

The Document Analyzer writes the object properties to xml files. You can use these to extract for example the labels. Look at the code that extracts the font names. You could copy and adapt that to extract labels.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I don't think you need the server but of course you won't pick up any server or performance information however I still think you will pick up the metadata from the .qvw files in the designated path.

RedSky001
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

I didn't realse you could just point QV and an existing .qvw file and extract the meta data,  That gives me what I need, thanks Nils.

For some reason I can't find the 'QlikView Governance Dashboard' download link.  I think my QV user account has changed since moving between jobs and I've lost some access.  Will check that out later.

Gysbert, I'll check out your suggestion when I get some free time, thanks for this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem.

You can find the Governance Dashboard in the QlikMarket https://market.qlik.com/

Tyler_Waterfall
Employee
Employee

It is true that the Governance Dashboard does not require Server - especially if you are just interested in QVW (and/or QVD and QVX) metadata.

Tyler