Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can you make some examples about the use of Tags

I am just spending some hours by watching others statement and functions that might be they can be useful. I cannot really get how to use the "Tags".

I know that there are a lot of "options" (forgive my terminology) as:

$hidden

$numeric

$timestamp

$dimension

and $measure

Thanks in advance

1 Reply
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

This is all around applying meta data to your system.

Tagging allows you to add much more than the system tags such as $dimension or $measure.

Starting with those, $dimension is useful to tag your main dimension fields with.  Not only does it add the meta data tag, it then will sort the list of fields in the chart wizard so that the $dimension fields are listed first.  Similarly, in the Expression editor, $measure fields are listed first in the Field drop-down.

But you can add your own custom tags.  These can be anything.  For example, you could use System and Table names so that you know where fields have come from.

In the fields tab of the sheet properties, the tags will display when you hover over the field.

As of version 11, tags will export when you click the "Export Struture" button in the document's properties, "Tables" tab.  You can then read this export into another QV document so, anything that might be useful to have in there could be added to tags.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen