cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael_maeuser
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Best practice scripting

Hi, I´ve been working with QV for already over a half year and I´m still wondering what is the best practice for creating a data model. I usually work with MS NAV and need various tables like SalesLine, SalesInvoiceLine, CustomerEntries, ItemEntries, SalesShipmentLine and so on.... Many of these tables have fields like customer, item, dates (often two or three different dates). The only way I know to connect everything to each other is a link table. But with this way it´s no longer an associative data model. Does anybody have some advices what is the best way? Do you also often work with a link table? Thanks!

1 Reply
Not applicable

I have similar issues where our tables are like quote, quote line, order, order line, and these link to each other, I currently use one large link table that combines all these tables so that when the user wants to select a part number it is not filtered through a table to show for example only quotes that have orders (If the part is from order) or only orders from quotes (if the part is from quote). From what I have seen, one large table is the best way. We have many fields that the user wants to select and see all possible values in both quotes and orders no matter the link between the two. IE: Products, Customers, Parts, Company originated from, contacts.

I would also be interested in a better way to do this as I have the same problem, and I have noticed other issues where this causes duplicated data. IE: User selects a Part. What they expect to see is all quotes and orders for this part. What they really see is all quotes and orders for this part AND all quotes and orders linked to a line containing this part. There are situations where a part changes between quote and order (Alternate part used) and they see the quote for the correct part, and the order listing the incorrect part.

Capture.PNG

Not trying to step on your toes for the question, just wanted to also input my experience and interest in a better way.