cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjcunningham
Contributor III
Contributor III

Certificate issue connecting to Qlik Sense App

I'm attempting to connect my new qlik nprint deployment to a qlik sense app. Both qlik sense and nprint are on version May 2023.  When I 'test verification' I get the "X Installed certificates are valid to connect to Qlik Sense" error. I've exported the certificates from qlik sense and placed them in the folder path as depicted. I used the hostname of the nprint windows server in the machine name. I also checked the secret key box.

I installed the root.cer certificate. I've also tried disabling the "validate certificates" option in the Settings->Task menu. 

cjcunningham_0-1703889676850.png

There's a few issues I have that I suspect may be the problem. 

1. The nprint service user is not a domain user. This is because the windows server is not domain joined
    1. Is this required? I have another nprint environment that uses a domain user, but the active directory it belongs to no longer exists. In that environment the 'test verification' button still finishes successfully. But I do get the "X The Identity and the Qlik NPrinting Engine service account are a Windows domain user." error. Despite that the connection still caches successfully. Because of this, I figured the domain user was potentially not necessary.
  2. I'm not able to log in remotely as the service user on the nprint machine due to nature of our network. I do have the password to the user though. So I tried installing the certificate via a powershell session I opened as the service user. This doesn't appear to have made a difference either. I've also tried installing the certificate just on the local machine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Frank_S
Support
Support

@cjcunningham 

"The nprint service user is not a domain user. This is because the windows server is not domain joined"

Please note that our long standing requirements are that:

• The NPrinting server, 
  • NPrinting service account, 
  • Qlik Sense and or QlikView server, 

Must all be members of the 'same' domain.

This is a default requirement.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/User-accounts.h...

"The Qlik NPrinting service account used must be able to authenticate seamlessly in the background without being prompted for a user name and password. Access will be denied if there are separate domains and standalone servers."

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Supported-unsup...

Domains

All supported configurations must be implemented within a single Active Directory domain.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

Couple of things,

1. If service user RootAdmin in your qlik sense environment

2. Can user access the same application in hub?

3. Is this problem post upgrade or this is fresh installation?

4. Is N-Printing certificate is Open SSL or Domain certificate?

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
cjcunningham
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

To clarify, the service user in the sense environment and the service user in the nprint environment are both not domain users. Both are just local windows users.

To answer your questions:

1. The qlik sense local windows service user, is a rootadmin within the sense qmc. This is the user utilized in the nprint app connection I'm troubleshooting.
  2. Yes this user can access the app in question from the hub.
  3. The qlik sense machine was set up fresh using an amazon ami. The nprint machine was an amazon ami as well, but I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the nprint server and nprint engine in an effort to troubleshoot.
  4. Could you clarify this question? I'm not sure what you're meaning?
cjcunningham
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Also, do you know where issues with the 'run verification'  button process would be logged? Do you know which nprint windows service it utilizes?

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Have you gone thru this already? https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/How-to-resolve-NPrinting-verification-errors... 

So, When you test connection you are using, Serverhostname\windowsuser?

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Frank_S
Support
Support

@cjcunningham 

"The nprint service user is not a domain user. This is because the windows server is not domain joined"

Please note that our long standing requirements are that:

• The NPrinting server, 
  • NPrinting service account, 
  • Qlik Sense and or QlikView server, 

Must all be members of the 'same' domain.

This is a default requirement.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/User-accounts.h...

"The Qlik NPrinting service account used must be able to authenticate seamlessly in the background without being prompted for a user name and password. Access will be denied if there are separate domains and standalone servers."

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Supported-unsup...

Domains

All supported configurations must be implemented within a single Active Directory domain.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
cjcunningham
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I've seen the article and have tried to follow it. Although, I'm struggling to determine which options are relevant. I've tried disabling IE enhanced security, and adding the proxy address to the trusted intranet sites. I'm suspicious that the nprint server is having trouble connecting to the qlik sense services via the proxy because even when I disable the inbound server rule opening up the relevant ports, the nprint 'run verfication' connection test still succeeds on the "The QRS is reachable on the port 4242 of the "Proxy Address"" test.

Do you know what service would be engaged for the certificate validation? I'm hoping to find a log that can show me the specifics of the issue. As in whether it's actually connecting to the qlik sense server or not.

I assume you're referring to the identity field? I've inputted qlikUserDir\qlikUserID as the value. The user being the service user on the qlik sense box.

cjcunningham
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I see. Unfortunately, domain joining the servers is not an option for us with current project constraints.

I've seen that the documentation requires a domain service account.  But in our original nprinting environment its domain service user is not able to be authenticated due to the active directory it originated from no longer being available for authentication.

Despite this, our connections between nprint and sense in that environment continue to cache as expected despite failing the "The "Identity" and the Qlik NPrinting Engine service account are a Windows domain user." step of the 'run verification' test. As depicted in the screenshot.

Because of this, I hoped that the domain user requirement could be circumvented. Do you know why this still works? Is the user information cached somehow? I'm unable to login as that user in the original qlik sense environment due to it not being able to authenticate against the original active directory.

cjcunningham_0-1704329466419.png

Do you know what services are involved in this 'run verification' test? I'd like to be able to put the relevant logs in debug mode to see if they detail the exact reasons the test is failing in our new environment.

cjcunningham
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

On the link, I see the following statement about ports:

"""

Ensure the following NPrinting ports are not blocked on both the NPrinting, QlikView and or Qlik Sense servers:

• ​NPrinting Ports 80, 443, 4242, 4243, 4244, 4747, 4992, 4993, 4994, 4995, 4996, 4997, 5672

"""

I assume that the majority of these ports don't need to be opened inbound on the sense or nprint machines? I take it that most of these services are communicating internally?

Based on the port page I've linked below, I see that only 443, 4242, 4243, and 4747 are required as inbound firewall rules to qlik sense. Consequently, those are the only ports our proxy is listening on. Please let me know if others are needed as well.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Ports.htm

Anil_Babu_Samineni

@cjcunningham the error shown previously is more about windows user. I guess you are using this just for testing because all the domain users can't be controlled via domain control or group policy. Could be that might be blocking.