Qlik Announces Qlik Talend Cloud and Qlik Answers: LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvolkmerwolf
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

postgreSQL service shown as "not running" in service manager, but...

Dear all,

I have a problem (maybe?) that appears a bit strange to me.

I upgraded Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows to version Februar 2022, then ran the Qlik PostGreSQL-Update utility early last year, thus I ended up having postgres V 12.5 on my installation. Everything ran smooth.

Now, with postgreSQL service no more being bundled with the Qlik Sense installer, I knew I had to manually upgrade to postgreSQL 14.8, and I did so following this article here.

And now, after having started the OS (Windows Server 2019), the postgreSQL service allways shows as "nut running" (!), allthough I do have a couple of postgres processes in the background, I also can open the QMC and the Hub, and using pgAdmin I can connect to the repository database.

I did activate the logging in the postgres.conf file (logging_collector = on, log_min_error_statement = debug1) ... so far to no avail, from the logs it really seems the service would be running. Except one thing: ocasionally there is an error in the logs that says "could not receive data from client, unrecognized winsock error 10054"....don't know if this is important.

I can manually start the service after having deleted the file postmaster.pid, but that's not how it should run, right?

Has anyone of you made the same experience or can anyone explain this to me? Maybe I'm overseeing important things....

Many thanks in advance,

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Alan_Slaughter
Support
Support

Hi tvolkmerwolf, it appears that you have more than one Postgres db installed. Is it possible to attach the system information using this article for review?

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Windows-Commands-To-Retrieve-Environment-Inf...

View solution in original post

tvolkmerwolf
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Alan_Slaughter,

many thanks for your reply. Meanwhile I found an alternative way to solve this (backing up the site and completely restore it from scratch), but I will try to instantiate this situation again and see if I can provide the data.

Best wishes, 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Alan_Slaughter
Support
Support

Hi tvolkmerwolf, it appears that you have more than one Postgres db installed. Is it possible to attach the system information using this article for review?

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Windows-Commands-To-Retrieve-Environment-Inf...

tvolkmerwolf
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Alan_Slaughter,

many thanks for your reply. Meanwhile I found an alternative way to solve this (backing up the site and completely restore it from scratch), but I will try to instantiate this situation again and see if I can provide the data.

Best wishes, 

mbespartochnyy
Creator III
Creator III

I believe it’s normal to have a Qlik Sense repository database service not running after installation of a separate PostgreSQL server. There’s one repository database, but that repository database can be operated by either Qlik Sense service  or PostgreSQL service. Since you upgraded PostgreSQL, it took over operations of Qlik Sense repository database with its service which is why Qlik Sense Repository Database service is no longer running.

The fact that you can log in to both QMC and the Hub without Qlik Sense Repository Database service running confirms that operation of your repository database has been successful taken over by PostgreSQL.

tvolkmerwolf
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi,

maybe I wasn't precise enough...I know that I do not have any more a "Qlik Sense Repository Databsae Service", but at least the PostgreSQL service should be running, which isn't the case.

Best wishes,

Alan_Slaughter
Support
Support

Hi tvolkmerwolf, thank you for the update and I am glad to hear the issue has been resolved. 

mbespartochnyy
Creator III
Creator III

You're right I misread "I do have a couple of postgres processes in the background" as "I do have a couple of postgres processes running in the background".

That's interesting though. I know that if Qlik Sense repository is operated by PostgreSQL Server, there's a service called postgresql-x64-12 - PostgreSQL Server 12 that is running and operating the repository database. The service might be called postgresql-x64-14 - PostgreSQL Server 14 for version 14 of PostgreSQL server.

If neither Qlik Sense Repository Database, not PostgreSQL server services are running, but you were still able to access QMC and connect to the repository database, there must have been some other service that was operating the repository database. I'm curious what it was. I'll see if I can track it down. In any case, I'm glad that backup and restore worked.

tvolkmerwolf
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks for your ongoing efforts!  And yes, Backup & Restore did work and besides I learned a lot 😉.

tvolkmerwolf
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi community,

now this happened again...the postgres service is not running, nevertheless I have a lot of postgres processes working in TaskManager, and I can access the HUB and the QMC. I am even able to connect to the QSR database using pgadmin ... any ideas why this possible?

tvolkmerwolf_0-1690793761104.png

tvolkmerwolf
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi @gregbowers,

many thanks for your suggestions; please find my replies below.

@gregbowers wrote:

Hello Tvolkmerwolf,

It seems like you are facing an issue with the postgreSQL service after manually upgrading to postgreSQL 14.8 following the provided article. Even though you can access the QMC, Hub, and connect to the repository database using pgAdmin, the postgreSQL service is shown as "not running" in the service manager.

A couple of things you can check or try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Check Windows Event Viewer: Look for any relevant error messages related to the postgreSQL service in the Windows Event Viewer. This might provide additional insights into the issue.
    I allready did so for weeks, there's no specific thing I could see

2. Review the postgreSQL Logs: Continue examining the postgreSQL logs for any other error messages or warnings that might point to the root cause of the issue.
    The first thing I needed to learn was how to get postgreSQL to log things, I'm now in the process of monitoring exactly these logs.

3. Verify Postmaster Process: Ensure that the postmaster process is running as expected and there are no unusual circumstances affecting its operation.
    There is no postmaster process on Windows.

4. Double-check Configuration Files: Review the postgreSQL configuration files carefully, including the postmaster.pid file, to ensure there are no inconsistencies or incorrect settings.
    That's a very good hint, many thanks! Because that showed me it actually is "just" the process "pg_ctl.exe" which is missing (and this process is that one behind the Windows Service). But the real postgreSQL serviceprocess id (gained from the pid file) is still running, that's why everything appears to be still working! So: only the launcher is missing....does this make sense?

5. Firewall and Antivirus: Check if any firewall or antivirus software is interfering with the postgreSQL service's functioning. It's possible that they might be blocking some necessary ports or processes.
    Sorry, kind of standard thingi to keep users busy... nevertheless I also checked that, everything is fine here

6. Windows Services Permissions: Verify that the postgreSQL service has the appropriate permissions to run on your Windows Server 2019.
    All processes (also pg_ctl.exe) are run by the NT network service, I don't think I should change this.

7. Reach Out to Qlik Support or Community: If the issue persists, consider reaching out to Qlik Support or consulting the Qlik Community for further assistance. Other users may have encountered a similar problem and found solutions.
    This is exactly the reason why I'm here and keeping a bit more elaborative on this one 🙂

Thanks again, I'm curious what further insights we might gain.