Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_perreault
Creator III
Creator III

Section Access Causing Slowness When Opening App

Hi All,

I have a large app 950MB and users are experiencing significant slowness and delays when opening the app, takes roughly 15-20 seconds.  We utilize Section Access on the app and was curious if that was part of the reason for the slowness.  I removed Section Access and noticed that the opening of the app was significantly faster.  The problem is we need to use Section Access as certain groups should not be allowed to see other groups data.  I have reviewing much of Section Access material floating around the community but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions to optimize Section Access or any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

The data-reduction of section access is executed during the opening of an application and will be therefore add some overhead times. The larger an application is the more time is needed to perform this step. I never made benchmarks between my apps with and without section access and therefore I don't know which impact it really has.

But the way how a section access is implemented might make a difference (also never measured in my environment). This means by a quite complex datamodel (for example with multiple fact-tables and link-tables) the data-reduction will need more time as by a neat star-scheme model because the section access worked like the selections within the UI whereby the non-associated data aren't out-greyed respectively set to an inactive state else they will be removed.

This means that approaches which optimize your datamodel itself will quite probably minimize the opening time either directly as also the section access overhead.

Further if you apply a quite complex section access with deep hierarchies over multiple fields you should consider to split the application to be able to apply more simplified section access rules.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

The data-reduction of section access is executed during the opening of an application and will be therefore add some overhead times. The larger an application is the more time is needed to perform this step. I never made benchmarks between my apps with and without section access and therefore I don't know which impact it really has.

But the way how a section access is implemented might make a difference (also never measured in my environment). This means by a quite complex datamodel (for example with multiple fact-tables and link-tables) the data-reduction will need more time as by a neat star-scheme model because the section access worked like the selections within the UI whereby the non-associated data aren't out-greyed respectively set to an inactive state else they will be removed.

This means that approaches which optimize your datamodel itself will quite probably minimize the opening time either directly as also the section access overhead.

Further if you apply a quite complex section access with deep hierarchies over multiple fields you should consider to split the application to be able to apply more simplified section access rules.

- Marcus

m_perreault
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you Marcus I appreciate your insight!

paulyeo11
Master
Master

Hi Marcus

https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-QlikView/Case-0002-Why-loading-time-increase-3-time-after-add-s...

After reading your post , look like you know the solution. Hope you can help me advise on above link

Paul