Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acbishop2
Creator
Creator

Variables not working together in expression.

Hi All,

I've noticed before that when doing arithmetic with variables, I often need to put parentheses around them, but that's not working this time. Here's the deal:

I have 3 Variables:

1) vCurrentMonthLeadGoal - contains the lead goal for this month.

2) vCurrentMonthWorkDays - contains the number of workdays in this month.

3) vMTDWorkDays - contains the number of workdays from the beginning of this month to today.

Each of the above variables works on its own. However, when I try to combine the three to create a 4th variable, I run into a problem. My fourth variable is meant to calculate today's lead "target", which is essentially just where we should be today to meet this month's goal. The formula is as follows:

($(vCurrentMonthLeadGoal))

/

($(vCurrentMonthWorkDays))

($(vMTDWorkDays))

This just gives me a "-".  Any solution?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2 Replies
acbishop2
Creator
Creator
Author

EDIT:

The vCurrentMonthLeadGoal is made up of a collection of sums:

Sum(Expression1)

+

Sum(Expression2)

+

Sum(Expression3)

I took the ceiling of this expression, and everything is working fine now:

Ceil(

Sum(Expression1)

+

Sum(Expression2)

+

Sum(Expression3)

)

That said, I'd still like to know why it behaves this way. If anyone could enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

marcus_sommer

I think the reason is your default number-formatting which probably used the comma as decimal delimiter. This means vCurrentMonthLeadGoal returned probably something like 100,50 which is fine if applied anywhere as a single-expression but is invalid as part of further calculations because it regards the comma than as a parameter delimiter.

To solve this you could change the default formatting (in the script-variables in script-tab main but be careful - it might have side-effects to other interpretations/calculations in script and UI of your application) or you used a formatting like:

num(($(vCurrentMonthLeadGoal)), '# ##0.##', '.', ' ')

- Marcus