Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wuming79
Creator
Creator

Exactly How Qlik Sense Convert Epoch Time?

I'm not sure why when I search for examples, I always get from Qlik view but not much from Qlik Sense.

I do I actually convert a column whose field name is epochtime to a format that is YYYY-MM-DD?

I tried the following:

[time]:

SELECT

date(floor(timestart/ 86400 + 25569)) as DateStart,

date(floor(timeend/ 86400 + 25569)) as DateEnd

FROM testDB.time;

But when I put DateStart and DateEnd in a table, it only shows me the headers without any date in my column.

DateStartDateEnd
EmptyEmpty
EmptyEmpty
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

To start with you should stop using Qlik functions in SQL SELECT statements. The only thing that Qlik Sense does with an SQL statement is send it to the database (actually to the odbc or oledb driver). Your database does not understand Qlik functions so you should use them in SQL statements.

Next use only field names that actually exist in your database. If you post Date(floor(newstimeStart/ 86400 + 25569)) as DateStart, then I assume there is a field in your database with the name newstimeStart.

So load data from the database:

[testdb.time]:

SELECT timestart, timeend FROM testDB.time;

Then take a look at the data. Is any data loaded? Do the values look like numbers? What is the result if you add a kpi object to the app with the measure sum(timestart)? It should be a very large number. Is it? If it is try the next step and add another table that loads the data from testdb.time:

[testdb.time2]:

LOAD

date(floor(timestart/86400)+25569,'YYYY-MM-DD') as DateStart,

date(floor(timeend/86400)+25569,'YYYY-MM-DD') as DateEnd

RESIDENT

[testdb.time]

;

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I'm not sure why when I search for examples, I always get from Qlik view but not much from Qlik Sense.

1. Because Qlikview exists since 1993 and Qlik Sense for only a fraction of that time.

2. Because people post in the wrong places

3. Because it doesn't matter since the functions and syntax you use in expressions are exactly the same.

If you get empty values for DateStart and DateEnd you better check what kind of values actually exist in the fields timestart and timeend. If those are not numeric values but text values then the floor function will return null. Perhaps you need to use the Date# function on those values first to convert strings into dates.

wuming79
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Gysberf,

Oh, actually how can I check if the value is in string or number?

I tried the code below with #

[time]:

SELECT

date#(floor(timestart/ 86400 + 25569)) as DateStart,

date#(floor(timeend/ 86400 + 25569)) as DateEnd

FROM testDB.time;

Qliksense returned error:

The following error occurred:

QVX_UNEXPECTED_END_OF_DATA: ERROR [42S22] [Qlik][MySQL] Unknown column 'date' in 'field list'

wuming79
Creator
Creator
Author

Just tried the following:

LOAD timestart,

Num#(timestart) as newstimeStart,

timeend,

Num#(timeend) as newstimeEnd;

[time]:

SELECT

Date(floor(newstimeStart/ 86400 + 25569)) as DateStart,

Date(floor(newstimeEnd/ 86400 + 25569)) as DateEnd

FROM testDB.time;

But this returned another error:

Field 'timestart' not found

---

The error occurred here:

?

Not sure why does Qlik Sense still look for 'timestart' when I LOAD it before the table?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Actually that's MySQL that's saying it doesn't understand the date# function. Which makes sense since it's a Qlik Sense function, not an MySQL function.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You're using a preceding load in which records are processed bottom to top. So first the SELECT gets the data from the database and then pass them up to the LOAD that's preceding it. Since the SELECT statement doesn't return a timestart field you get the error.

Try to find out what's actually in the newstimeStart and newstimeEnd fields by only loading those fields without any further processing.

SELECT newstimeStart, newstimeEnd FROM testDB.time

wuming79
Creator
Creator
Author

Do you mean to

SELECT  timestart, timeend FROM testDB.time?

timsstart and timeend is in these format but I can't tell if it is string or number.

timestarttimeend

SELECT newstimeStart, newstimeEnd FROM testDB.time will gives me error as

QVX_UNEXPECTED_END_OF_DATA: ERROR [42S22] [Qlik][MySQL] Unknown column 'newstimeStart' in 'field list'

wuming79
Creator
Creator
Author

So thinking that it process the SELECT before load, I thought I could convert the timestart to num first without LOAD.

SELECT Num#(timestart) as newstimeStart From testDB.time;

I get the error below:

QVX_UNEXPECTED_END_OF_DATA: ERROR [42S22] [Qlik][MySQL] Unknown column 'Num' in 'field list'

I tried:

SELECT Num#(timestart) as newstimeStart From testDB.time;

and I get the error:

FUNCTION testDB.Num does not exist

I hope this is not a silly question....really having a hard time understanding how Qlik View answers can be used in Qlik Sense...

Gysbert_Wassenaar

To start with you should stop using Qlik functions in SQL SELECT statements. The only thing that Qlik Sense does with an SQL statement is send it to the database (actually to the odbc or oledb driver). Your database does not understand Qlik functions so you should use them in SQL statements.

Next use only field names that actually exist in your database. If you post Date(floor(newstimeStart/ 86400 + 25569)) as DateStart, then I assume there is a field in your database with the name newstimeStart.

So load data from the database:

[testdb.time]:

SELECT timestart, timeend FROM testDB.time;

Then take a look at the data. Is any data loaded? Do the values look like numbers? What is the result if you add a kpi object to the app with the measure sum(timestart)? It should be a very large number. Is it? If it is try the next step and add another table that loads the data from testdb.time:

[testdb.time2]:

LOAD

date(floor(timeend/86400)+25569,'YYYY-MM-DD') as DateEnd

RESIDENT

[testdb.time]

;

wuming79
Creator
Creator
Author

I tried to combine and it works!  Thanks Gysbert!!

[time]:

LOAD

date(floor(timeend/86400)+25569,'YYYY-MM-DD') as DateEnd;

SELECT

timestart, timeend

FROM testDB.time;