Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mferhere
Contributor II
Contributor II

QV11.2 to QV vNovember17 tasks easy migration

Hi all,

We have two different qlikview infrastructures, one with version 11.2 and another with version November17 ... In both infrastructures we have the same .qvw sources, there is some simple way to import the tasks from one to another ?. I think that RMS is not an option because both infrastructures use different main versions, as I read in the product documentation

Any idea or suggestion will be welcome ¡¡¡

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies
balabhaskarqlik

May be these steps:

Many files in the QVPR folder will contain default values that will never be used or modified without a Publisher license (ex. PauseTask.xml) so you could try to make an inventory of all QVPR files that have been modified and copy those to your new machine. But don't forget to translate all hostnames lurking inside your xml files.

A possible strategy wherein you may copy too much but that's only to save time:

1. Install QV on new server.
  2. Create directories and copy documents and related files from previous server to new one.
  3. Copy entire QVPR fileset to same location on new server.
  4. Edit hostnames in a few xml files (see the other discussion)
  5. Start QV services
  6. (Re)configure your new server in QMC and check whether the reload tasks are OK.

Check these:

https://community.qlik.com/thread/272128

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/12.1/Subsystems/QMC/Content/QMC_System_Setup_RemoteManagementSe...

https://community.qlik.com/message/75572#75572

mferhere
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Bala,

I'll check if, I'll do a test and I'll tell you something

thanks a lot.

Regards

peterwh
Creator II
Creator II

Hello Miguel,

did you manage to test it? Do you have any informations?

A migration from QV12 to QV12.20 is ahead of us and we try to create a timeline. If a easy migration works, we could save a lot of time.

Kind regards

Peter

mferhere
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

My apologies Peter but we have not been able to perform the test yet. I'm still trying to solve internal bureaucratic problems in order to perform the test (to many doors to knock before this simple test) If I have any news, I'll tell you.

Regards

Miguel.

peterwh
Creator II
Creator II

Hello Miguel,

in the meantime I've come a little bit further. I've dived into the QVPR files and migrated our task successfully (with minor problems) from QV12 to QV12.20. I can't say, if this would be working from QV11.20 to QV12.20.

One thing I have to say in advance: we're not using reduction and only some distribution-cases.

First we installed our QV12.20 servers and configurated everything through QMC. Afterwards I migrated the following files:

• Category.xml => because we are using categories to categorize our tasks
  • DocumentTask.xml => List of all tasks
  • ExternalProgramTask.xml => List of all "Supporting Tasks" we're using
  • SourceDocument.xml => List of all Source-Documents
  • SouceDocumentFolderResource.xml => List of all mounted folders
  • TaskCategory.xml => Mapping from DocumentTask.xml to Category.xml
  • Trigger.xml => List of all Triggers

By migration I mean, that I've changed the files before copying:

1. The "header" of the XML-files are nearly the same between 12.00 and 12.20 and I adjusted them, to have the same order and content. But I've seen bigger changes between 11.20 and 12.20:
    11.20:
    <xs:attribute name="DSCID" msdata:DataType="System.Guid, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" type="xs:string" msdata:DefaultValue="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" use="required" />
    12.20:
    <xs:attribute name="DSCID" msdata:DataType="System.Guid, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" type="xs:string" msdata:DefaultValue="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" use="required" />
  2. The "data"-part of the XML-files where adjusted to the new order from the header and fields previously not available where inserted with "" as value.
  3. In the "data"-part I changed the relevant IDs (see below)

Relevant IDs and other changes by files:

• Category.xml => nothing to to do
  • DocumentTask.xml => Add "DistributionGroup" to header and every entry
                                      adjust DistributionServiceID to the new one (from DistributionService.xml)
  • ExternalProgramTask.xml => adjust DistributionServiceID to the new one (from DistributionService.xml)
  • SourceDocument.xml => adjust DistributionServiceID to the new one (from DistributionService.xml)
                                         and FolderID to the new one (from SourceDocumentFolderResource.xml)
  • SouceDocumentFolderResource.xml => adjust DistributionServiceID to the new one (from DistributionService.xml)

and QlikViewServerID to the new one (from QlikViewServerResource.xml)

• TaskCategory.xml => nothing to do
  • Trigger.xml => nothing to do

After that I copied these files to the new server, but all tasks where unrunnable. So I copied through QMC a existing Task and all tasks where active and did run. I think it was due to the fact, that somehow the WorkOrderID and/or CurrentConfigurationID where not correct.

Up to this point: it is tested.

Now to the untested points:

Afterwards I found, that our distribution-tasks (there are only two with four users each) where not complete. The distributionpath and users were not set. They could be found in "DistributionDetail.xml". It seems I have only to adjust the field "FSPath" to write on the correct fileserver and then I can copy the file.

Since we're not using reduction I've skipped the "Rule.xml" file, but it seems, that there is no ID which has to be changed.

Hope that helps you.

Kind regards

Peter

mferhere
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks a lot Peter, will test it.

Regards.