Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raju_salmon
Creator II
Creator II

About Names user CAL

Hi Team,

I have tried to search information which i need but did not understand fully.

Can you please help on below situation:

My organization have only 100 Names CALS and we have provided access to group of people (in which only 50-60% of users are actually accessing the dashboard and we are not sure about potential users). Lets take an example, if i am not potential user but still opened one dashboard then CAL will be consumed. I heard that until we physically remove the CAL on my name (from server), it would remain non-usable CAL by someone?

What is 24 hours quarantine time to transfer CAL? If i don't access any dashboard for last 24hours, can it be assigned manually to some other person? Is there anyway we can release CAL automatically?

We want to release license automatically if user does not access any dashboard for last 30 days, is it possible? (through batch file etc)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Raju

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Short answer to your question is no, according to the License Terms, you cannot programmatically remove Named User CALs.

You will find all the details in the linked document and the specifics on how the different licenses work.

Basically, the Named User CAL is assigned to one user and remains for that user as long as the user stays in the company or moves to another function where he or she will never ever use QlikView again. If you need this time of dynamic access, Session CALs are what you are looking for.

Quoting the License Metrics for QlikView, section 3:

"Named and Document CALs are assigned to an identified user and may not be transferred to another user unless the transfer is due to a i) termination of employment, or ii) a transfer of the user to a new business unit or group resulting in no access to the Qlik Software. When a Named User or Document CAL is transferred, there is a 7-day quarantine before the CAL can be used by another user."

The quarantine period is yet another measure to avoid what you are looking for: removing licenses from users to assign to other users. It means that the license remains assigned to its original licensee for a certain period of time. In version 12, this quarantine has been extended to 7 days, instead of 24 hours.

However, check with your Qlik sales rep or Qlik Partner manager to see how this can be work out best for your specific needs.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Short answer to your question is no, according to the License Terms, you cannot programmatically remove Named User CALs.

You will find all the details in the linked document and the specifics on how the different licenses work.

Basically, the Named User CAL is assigned to one user and remains for that user as long as the user stays in the company or moves to another function where he or she will never ever use QlikView again. If you need this time of dynamic access, Session CALs are what you are looking for.

Quoting the License Metrics for QlikView, section 3:

"Named and Document CALs are assigned to an identified user and may not be transferred to another user unless the transfer is due to a i) termination of employment, or ii) a transfer of the user to a new business unit or group resulting in no access to the Qlik Software. When a Named User or Document CAL is transferred, there is a 7-day quarantine before the CAL can be used by another user."

The quarantine period is yet another measure to avoid what you are looking for: removing licenses from users to assign to other users. It means that the license remains assigned to its original licensee for a certain period of time. In version 12, this quarantine has been extended to 7 days, instead of 24 hours.

However, check with your Qlik sales rep or Qlik Partner manager to see how this can be work out best for your specific needs.