Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robodeveloper
Contributor III
Contributor III

how to signal app reload issues to users?

Hi

We're new to Qlik as an organisation.    We are running batch processes (SAS) to create files overnight (e.g. CSV) that the Qlik Sense (Feb18) apps can then upload.

Naturally some days there are overnight issues with the files created.     What methods do you use to signal to your users that there has been an issue and the data within the app has not been refreshed?    

I'd love to know how other organisation have approached this.    We have a mixture of users some of whom will check reload dates, and some won't.

thanks

Ross

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikegrattan
Creator III
Creator III

If you want something simple that can be displayed on a sheet in the application, you can place a text box or KPI object on your sheet and use the ReloadTime() function to display the last reload date/time.    Combine that with a process that manages your downloaded files such as:

1. Have two separate folders on your server.  One for receiving the new files from SAS and one to temporarily contain a copy of only the newest file for loading into Qlik.
  2. Set up a Powershell script to copy from the source folder to the Qlik data load folder based on datetime stamp of file; i.e., if you are expecting one new file per day, only copy the file if it has a date of today. 
  3. Set up your Qlik Sense reload task to pull from the Qlik data load folder
  4. Powershell script will run after the scheduled Qlik data load task and delete the contents of the data load folder
  5. Powershell script can email users if there is no new file in the SAS source folder.
  6. If there is no new file in the Qlik data load folder the reload task should fail, and the ReloadTime() function should still show the prior reload date/time.

If you are currently looping through a folder full of SAS files, you might consider saving your data to a QVD file and do incremental loads to add each day's new SAS file to the QVD file, delete SAS file using Powershell, repeat.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mikegrattan
Creator III
Creator III

Although I haven't tried it myself, I know there is a tool available from Qlik Branch

robodeveloper
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

As administrators we have used nPrinting to notify us of failures on a timing schedule.

My question was more about signalling the reload status of an app to the end users.

mikegrattan
Creator III
Creator III

If you want something simple that can be displayed on a sheet in the application, you can place a text box or KPI object on your sheet and use the ReloadTime() function to display the last reload date/time.    Combine that with a process that manages your downloaded files such as:

1. Have two separate folders on your server.  One for receiving the new files from SAS and one to temporarily contain a copy of only the newest file for loading into Qlik.
  2. Set up a Powershell script to copy from the source folder to the Qlik data load folder based on datetime stamp of file; i.e., if you are expecting one new file per day, only copy the file if it has a date of today. 
  3. Set up your Qlik Sense reload task to pull from the Qlik data load folder
  4. Powershell script will run after the scheduled Qlik data load task and delete the contents of the data load folder
  5. Powershell script can email users if there is no new file in the SAS source folder.
  6. If there is no new file in the Qlik data load folder the reload task should fail, and the ReloadTime() function should still show the prior reload date/time.

If you are currently looping through a folder full of SAS files, you might consider saving your data to a QVD file and do incremental loads to add each day's new SAS file to the QVD file, delete SAS file using Powershell, repeat.