cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macro to copy a table into excel keeping multiple spaces

Hi,

I have a table in qlikview and a macro to copy the table into excel. The macro works, but I would like it to keep all the spaces, (sometimes we have 3 or 4 consecutive spaces).

XLDoc.Sheets(1).Paste() has been replaced with XLDoc.Sheets(1).PasteSpecial(-4122), but when the macro runs, qlikview doesn’t respond and the only thing to do is end the activity.

Could anyone tell me how I can keep the spaces?

The macro is:

sub ExcelFileTab

set vExportPath =    ActiveDocument.Variables("vExportPath")

set vFileName =   ActiveDocument.Variables("vFileName")

Path = vExportPath.GetContent.String

FileName = vFileName.GetContent.String

set XLApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

XLApp.DisplayAlerts = False

XLApp.Visible = False

set XLDoc = XLApp.Workbooks.Add

ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("TB08").CopyTableToClipboard true

XLDoc.Sheets(1).Paste() 

'XLDoc.Sheets(1).Paste (-4122)

XLDoc.SaveAs Path & FileName

XLApp.DisplayAlerts = True

XLApp.Quit

End sub

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Hi Rachele,

Great. Actually, it is not working for me as well. But If you use (-4163) as paste special type, you will lose the format and only numbers will be exported into the excel. Below solution may look silly but working like expected .

XLDoc.Sheets(1).Paste()

XLDoc.Sheets(1).PasteSpecial (-4163)

So what I have done is just pasting the table into excel as it is i.e normal export (as you mentioned the spaces are not preserved). In the next step, I'm again pasting the table but this time only numbers. Note that the format was already pasted in the previous paste and only the values are pasted. That's all. I think we may have slight time difference in running of macro (because we are pasting the data twice) if you have larger data set. But I believe you will see only slight difference and worth to give a try. Let me know your thoughts.

Reference: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/excel-vba/articles/xlpastetype-enumeration-excel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Hi Rachele,

Could you attach a sample file?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Tamil,

I've solved with 'XLDoc.Sheets(1).PasteSpecial(-4163), the spaces are preserved.

But I don't understand why the Past Type (-4122) doesn't work and the application crashes down.

I've attached a sample file.

Thanks

Rachele

tamilarasu
Champion
Champion

Hi Rachele,

Great. Actually, it is not working for me as well. But If you use (-4163) as paste special type, you will lose the format and only numbers will be exported into the excel. Below solution may look silly but working like expected .

XLDoc.Sheets(1).Paste()

XLDoc.Sheets(1).PasteSpecial (-4163)

So what I have done is just pasting the table into excel as it is i.e normal export (as you mentioned the spaces are not preserved). In the next step, I'm again pasting the table but this time only numbers. Note that the format was already pasted in the previous paste and only the values are pasted. That's all. I think we may have slight time difference in running of macro (because we are pasting the data twice) if you have larger data set. But I believe you will see only slight difference and worth to give a try. Let me know your thoughts.

Reference: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/excel-vba/articles/xlpastetype-enumeration-excel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Tamil,

it works! Thank you very much.

Rachele