Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rafael_capote_qlik
Contributor II
Contributor II

QV QMC: Server->"Max Concurrent Reloads" vs. Distribution->"Max number of simultaneous QlikView engines for distribution"

Hello!

I am searching for the difference between these settings on the QlikView Management Console:

- System -> Setup -> Distribution Services -> Advanced -> Max number of simultaneous QlikView engines for distribution/Administration

- System -> Setup -> QlikView Servers -> Performance -> Max Concurrent Reloads

Which option set the maximun tasks that can be execute simultaneously?

Do you know any best practice about these settings?

Thank you in advance!

2 Replies
cedriclupo
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hello Rafael, 

System -> Setup -> Distribution Services -> Advanced -> Max number of simultaneous QlikView engines for distribution/Administration = how many qlik conccurent reloads  the publisher can ask the server to trigger the reloads

System -> Setup -> QlikView Servers -> Performance -> Max Concurrent Reloads = how many conccurent reloads the server can do. 

so if you don't have a publisher, I don't think the first one is useful.

Which option set the maximun tasks that can be execute simultaneously? -> the second one if you only use the server. 

It is possible to use both server and publisher at the same time, so best practice would depend on your use and the priorities/strategy that you want to use.

Let me know if it helped

Cedric 

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello Rafael,

- System -> Setup -> QlikView Servers -> Performance -> Max Concurrent Reloads

This setting is only available if you do not have a Publisher license. It's how you restrict how many reloads the Distribution Service is allowed to carry out at the same time, without the Publisher functionality unlocked.

This should not be visible if you have a Publisher licensed!

- System -> Setup -> Distribution Services -> Advanced -> Max number of simultaneous QlikView engines for distribution

Same as above, but when you have a Publisher enabled. 

- System -> Setup -> Distribution Services -> Advanced -> Max number of simultaneous QlikView engines for administration

This governs how many qvb.exe we are allowed to launch for administrative tasks, such as editing a task, opening a document in the QMC when modifying a task, etc..

See this article (kb 000039069) for details. 

Best practices are more complex though. I'll go ahead and copy my answer from another post:

Determining how many tasks you are able to run in parallel is a tricky question, as no "one size fits all" answer is available, since this is very much dependent on your individual QlikView document and data needs.

On how many you should make possible to run, we have some guidelines on what to consider when you plan this. Our "How many reloads to allow in your environment" article (kb 000026361) is a good starting point for research on this. It also mentions bottlenecks on Windows side, for example, the Desktop Heap Size, which could prevent additional QVB.exe to be launched. You may also be interested in knowing about our queue system (kb 000031318) to prevent overloads.

Generally, it ends up boiling down to task complexity, data volume, and how well you can spread out the tasks over time dependent on how resource intensive they are individually. 

I wish I could be more specific on this, but there are too many variables to take into account to make a very specific suggestion. 

If this helps to answer your question, please mark it as an accepted solution. This will help other members of the community down the road.

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂