cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III

Should I use Intervalmatch

I have a table with three fields.  Store #, open date, and close date.  I have another table with dates.  Dates are in the format 201601, 201602, etc... 

I need to create a column in the first table that indicates if the store is open or closed, for all of the open and close dates in the other table.  They can have records after they've closed, so new records indicating the store is closed will not be necessary.  I've been reading up on Intervalmatch, but never used it and not sure how to apply it.  If it is, how should I apply it?  If not, is there a better method??

Thanks in advance! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

What you have above looks right, are you running into errors?

View solution in original post

15 Replies
sunny_talwar

IntervalMatch can be used or you can use While statement to create a single date from open and close date. Both options are resource extensive, but can work in this situation

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

You can use IntervalMatch

I´ve created a script, so you can study a possible technique

OpeningGrid: // Generating a list of stores with open/close dates

LOAD

Store,

OpenDate,

Date(OpenDate + Floor(Rand()*10)) as CloseDate;

LOAD

Pick(1+Mod(RecNo(),3),'A','B','C') as Store,

Date(Floor(Today() - Rand()*100)) as OpenDate

AutoGenerate 50;

OtherTable: // your "another table"

LOAD

Pick(1+Mod(RecNo(),3),'A','B','C') as Store,

Date(Floor(Today() - Rand()*100)) as Date

AutoGenerate 50;

Left Join(OtherTable) IntervalMatch(Date,Store) // Date is related to which Open/Close Date?

LOAD

OpenDate,

CloseDate,

Store

Resident OpeningGrid;

Drop Table OpeningGrid;

Left Join(OtherTable) // Calculating a flag to know if the store was open

Load

Store,

Date,

If(IsNull(OpenDate),'N','Y') as [Flag Open]

Resident OtherTable;

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Sunny and Clever, I really appreciate your assistance. 

Clever, thank you for the script - I'm just not sure how to use it with my resident tables.  Upon further inspection, I think my scenario description is different.  I have a Fact table and a Store table.  Joined by ID.  The Fact table has MonthTimeKey (201601, 201602, etc...) for the transaction date.  The Store table has OpenDate and CloseDate. 

How can I create a column in the Fact table that indicates if the store was open or closed at the time of the transaction?

Something like:

if(MonthTimeKey >= OpenDate and Len(CloseDate) < 1, 'Open', if(MonthTimeKey >= OpenDate and MonthTimeKey <= CloseDate,'Open','Closed')) as StoreStatus  //If a close date is not present, the store is currently open.

Again, I really appreciate your help.  My apologies for the inaccurate description.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Another doubt...

MonthTimeKey is a month right?

Let´s get the 201601 month.

What if the store opened on Jan/05th and closed Jan/10th?

It must counted as opened or not-opened?

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Clever, thank you.  The app is loaded via Binary with many tables, so it would be quite a chore to make it a manageable size.  So, I created an app that I think represents the issue(s) I'm having.  It is attached.

Objective: Using the MonthTimeKey of the transaction in the Store table, list in a column if the Store was Open or Closed during the month of the transaction.  The Date table lists Stores and their Open/Closed dates.

Thanks you again!

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Please try this after at the end of your script;

NewDate:

NoConcatenate LOAD

Store#,

OpenDate,

Alt(CloseDate,Year(Today())*100+Month(Today())) as CloseDate

Resident Date;

Drop Table Date;

Left Join(Store) IntervalMatch(MonthTimeKey,Store#) // Date is related to which Open/Close Date?

LOAD

OpenDate,

CloseDate,

Store#

Resident NewDate;

Drop Table NewDate;

Left Join(Store) // Calculating a flag to know if the store was open

Load

Store#,

MonthTimeKey,

If(IsNull(OpenDate),'N','Y') as [Flag Open]

Resident Store;

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Clever, to answer your question.  If a store opened on 1/5 and closed on 1/10...it would be considered as Open.

Now, to the script.  The example works perfect, but I can't get it to work in my test app.  Here is the script I'm using (w/TestFieldNames).  I'm getting an error saying that OpenDateYrMth can't be found (in the Flag Open expression).  I can't figure out why...

NewDate:

NoConcatenate LOAD

AgtID,

OpenDateYrMth,

CloseDateYrMth

Resident AgentLookup;

Left Join (Data) IntervalMatch(MonthTimeKey,AgtID) // Date is related to which Open/Close Date?

LOAD

AgtID,

OpenDateYrMth,

CloseDateYrMth

Resident NewDate;

Drop Table NewDate;

Left Join(Data) // Calculating a flag to know if the store was open

Load

AgtID,

MonthTimeKey,

If(IsNull(OpenDateYrMth),'N','Y') as [Flag Open]

Resident Data;

Thank you again for the help!

sunny_talwar

I think you got the order of AgtID wrong in the intervalMatch load. AgtID cannot come before the two dates:

Left Join (Data) IntervalMatch(MonthTimeKey,AgtID) // Date is related to which Open/Close Date?

LOAD OpenDateYrMth,

CloseDateYrMth,

AgtID

Resident NewDate;