Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Assign a name for table as a result of Right Join

I have organized the load of my data files in different tabs.

In first tab I load data from an excel file, something like below:

[Orders]:

LOAD

OrderID,

OrderType,

Date,

Description

FROM

[Path\To\My\Excel\file\Orders.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

Then in another tab I create a calendar which table name is for example [MyCalendar].

Finally in another tab I perform the join between [Orders] table in tab#1 and the custom calendar created [MyCalendar] like below:

[ResultJoin]:

right join([Orders])

Load *

Resident [MyCalendar];

I want that the name of the table as a result of the right join to be named [ResultJoin] for example, so I have put it above.

Now, in another tab, last tab in my script I perform a load like below:

[FinalTable]:

Load *

Resident [ResultJoin];

The problem is that when loading data it fails saying [ResultJoin] table is not found when the above last script is executed.

Why?

6 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

A join will keep the name of the first table you loaded, no matter if it is a left, right, inner or outer join.

So in your case the table will be named Orders.

You could add a rename after the right join to fix that if you like:

rename table Orders to ResultJoin;

May you live in interesting times!
Not applicable
Author

when you join a table the name of table result its a name of the table of the join. if you whant rename your table result you need rename you table of the join example below:

[ResultJoin];

LOAD

OrderID,

OrderType,

Date,

Description

FROM

[Path\To\My\Excel\file\Orders.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

//[ResultJoin]: the name here not is use

right join([ResultJoin])

Load *

Resident [MyCalendar];

sunny_talwar

I think all you need is to use Order's table in your resident load which is the result of the right join that you done:

[FinalTable]:

NoConcatenate

Load *

Resident [Orders];

In addition, you would need to use NoConcatenate if all you are trying to do is to create another field using *. If you add another field (such as a flag) you may not need it, but having it there doesn't harm you in anyway.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your suggestion to rename table after joining, I used it as well. Also, thanks for your brief explanation about the behaviour of join sentence. I didn't know that join will keep the name of the first table. Great!

Not applicable
Author

Hi, Rodrigo,

Thanks for the example and also for the explanation. Basically, the main problem was that I didn't know that the result of the join toke the first table as table result.

Not applicable
Author

In fact, I wanted Order's table to be the result of the join, and then replace the old one loaded in previous script with the new one resulting from the join, so I ended by creating a temp table loaded with Order's table, join it, and then the result of the join (the temp table) rename it to Orders (previously removing the old one that I don't need anymore).