Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaymerry
Creator
Creator

Use Excel Sheet name

Hello all,

Do you know if it's possible to get the name of the Excel sheet which is load in my script ?

I don't find any function anout it.

Thank you for your help,

Jaymerry

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prieper
Master II
Master II

The name of the Excelsheet, which you are loading is in the script. You may also write workbook- and sheet-name into variables and refer to them in the script.

If you access Excel with an ODBC-connection (not the default loader) you may read all sheetnames with SQLTABLES-command and store them into a table. Then you may inspect the possible sheetnames and select one or more, which are to be loaded.

Below you may find a copy from an application:

// ======================================================================================== Load Excel-Files from one directory
/* All Excel-files fitting into a certain pattern will be loaded
individual sheets will be loaded if also fitting into certain pattern
file-headers are *not* used, as have changed in the past
each file will be documented with file- and sheetname as well as with creation-date of the file
*/

// ==============================================================Scan through all Files in a Directoy matching a certain pattern

FOR each varFile in FileList (strFileList) // ===============strFileList has been defined under "Variables"
ODBC CONNECT TO [Excel Files; DBQ=$(varFile)]; // ========================================DBQ= Name of Workbook

tmp: // =====================================Read sheet-informations
sqltables;

SheetNames:
LOAD
recno() AS record;
LOAD
TABLE_NAME AS SheetName
RESIDENT
tmp
WHERE
WildMatch(TABLE_NAME, '*BD*')
AND NOT WildMatch(TABLE_NAME, '*_Filter*', '*Print*', '*FilterDatabase*');
DROP TABLE tmp;

LET maxRec = PEEK('record', -1, 'SheetNames'); // ==============================Determine Last Table (for Loop)

FOR i = 0 TO maxRec -1 // ========================Loop through all sheets and load data

LET strSheet = Trim(PEEK('SheetName', i, 'SheetNames'));
LET strConc = chr(39) & Upper(Mid(strSheet, 5, 3)) & chr(39); // ======= Logistic Concept (SUR/DEF) from sheetname
LET strSiTy = chr(39) & Upper(Left(SubField(strSheet, ' ', 3), 4)) & chr(39); // ============ Read SiTy from sheetname
LET strSheet = PurgeChar(strSheet, chr(39));
LET strSheet = PurgeChar(strSheet, '_'); // ====================== used for designating sheet for reading
Let strSheetName = chr(39) & strSheet & chr(39); // ================== used for recording filename for each entry
If WildMatch(strSheet, '*DV20*', '*DV40*', '*HC40*', '*RE40*') THEN
Data:
LOAD
$(strConc) AS Concept,
$(strSiTy) AS SiTy,
// @1 AS Region,
@2 AS Port,
FROM
[$(varFile)]
(biff, header is 5 lines, no labels, table is [$(strSheet)])
WHERE
Len(Trim(@2)) = 5;
END If
NEXT i
DROP TABLE SheetNames;

NEXT varFile

HTH
Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

The name of the Excelsheet, which you are loading is in the script. You may also write workbook- and sheet-name into variables and refer to them in the script.

If you access Excel with an ODBC-connection (not the default loader) you may read all sheetnames with SQLTABLES-command and store them into a table. Then you may inspect the possible sheetnames and select one or more, which are to be loaded.

Below you may find a copy from an application:

// ======================================================================================== Load Excel-Files from one directory
/* All Excel-files fitting into a certain pattern will be loaded
individual sheets will be loaded if also fitting into certain pattern
file-headers are *not* used, as have changed in the past
each file will be documented with file- and sheetname as well as with creation-date of the file
*/

// ==============================================================Scan through all Files in a Directoy matching a certain pattern

FOR each varFile in FileList (strFileList) // ===============strFileList has been defined under "Variables"
ODBC CONNECT TO [Excel Files; DBQ=$(varFile)]; // ========================================DBQ= Name of Workbook

tmp: // =====================================Read sheet-informations
sqltables;

SheetNames:
LOAD
recno() AS record;
LOAD
TABLE_NAME AS SheetName
RESIDENT
tmp
WHERE
WildMatch(TABLE_NAME, '*BD*')
AND NOT WildMatch(TABLE_NAME, '*_Filter*', '*Print*', '*FilterDatabase*');
DROP TABLE tmp;

LET maxRec = PEEK('record', -1, 'SheetNames'); // ==============================Determine Last Table (for Loop)

FOR i = 0 TO maxRec -1 // ========================Loop through all sheets and load data

LET strSheet = Trim(PEEK('SheetName', i, 'SheetNames'));
LET strConc = chr(39) & Upper(Mid(strSheet, 5, 3)) & chr(39); // ======= Logistic Concept (SUR/DEF) from sheetname
LET strSiTy = chr(39) & Upper(Left(SubField(strSheet, ' ', 3), 4)) & chr(39); // ============ Read SiTy from sheetname
LET strSheet = PurgeChar(strSheet, chr(39));
LET strSheet = PurgeChar(strSheet, '_'); // ====================== used for designating sheet for reading
Let strSheetName = chr(39) & strSheet & chr(39); // ================== used for recording filename for each entry
If WildMatch(strSheet, '*DV20*', '*DV40*', '*HC40*', '*RE40*') THEN
Data:
LOAD
$(strConc) AS Concept,
$(strSiTy) AS SiTy,
// @1 AS Region,
@2 AS Port,
FROM
[$(varFile)]
(biff, header is 5 lines, no labels, table is [$(strSheet)])
WHERE
Len(Trim(@2)) = 5;
END If
NEXT i
DROP TABLE SheetNames;

NEXT varFile

HTH
Peter

maks248
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. This is a good decision. Tell me how to apply it in Qlik Sense? Unfortunately, the connection string with variables does not work there.