Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

Animate Dimension in a Chart

dimitar_dekov
Partner - Contributor III

Animate Dimension in a Chart

Attachments

QlikView has a very nice feature that allows you to "animate" the first dimension of a chart. Although I have heard some analysts doubt the value of this feature besides making for a fancy presentation in front of your managers, I would argue there is a great value in helping people understand dynamic processes. Think of representing the evolution of the Gartner Magic Quadrant for BI or more recently - how countries deal with COVID-19.

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XLXg4fYsc

Unfortunately, our favorite Analytics tool is currently not capable of creating the sort of visualization showed in the view above.

I would like to request that this feature (available in QV) is also added to Qlik Sense.

5 Comments
inspari_dfg

Well - this is actually already a feature that is available in Qlik Sense.

Just use the GeoAnalytics Animator object.

But I think that this should be a native object, or at least part of the Dashboard Bundle

dimitar_dekov

Thanks, @inspari_dfg, indeed I mean a native feature. And also - not a separate object, but a feature of the main native objects - the scatter plot, the bar chart, the line chart, the combo chart, etc. All charts can actually have a time dimension to animate. Same as in QlikView.

Ian_Crosland
Employee
Employee

Hi

Animator now added to the dashboard bundle for September release

thanks

Ian

Status changed to: Delivered
dimitar_dekov

Hi, @Ian_Crosland  thanks a lot for following up on that. I really think that the Animator object is a move in the right direction, but I think all long-term Qlik folks here are thinking more about how QlikView was doing it - on the chart level and not on the sheet level. What the animator now does seem like a simple select action for the whole app or sheet - it cycles though the values in a field and all objects just follow the filter. As human attention cannot follow 2 or more charts at the same time, this means the animator should be meaningfully used only if you have one chart per sheet. This is quite limiting to the design choices.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Adding and using an alternate state to the chart and the animator will limit the animation to just one chart

Thanks,

Patric