Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

Adjusting the user session timeout in Qlik Sense Business OR auto re-sign-in

a36b4wgd
Contributor II
Contributor II

Adjusting the user session timeout in Qlik Sense Business OR auto re-sign-in

It's really necessary that there is an option to change the time span when Qlik Sense Business logs out user after idle time.

Log out time is now 30 minutes and that's a way too short. It's pretty annoying to login that often and sometimes I do some further analysis elsewhere and get back to the Qlik - and my selections are gone.

If that isn't possible to do then there should be some kind of automatic re-sign when user is using Qlik Sense Business from the same device time after time.

Most kindly regards,

a36b4wgd

14 Comments
AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Please can this be done for both SaaS environments and not just QSB.

Peter-Lawlor
Contributor II
Contributor II

This was raised near the end of 2020.  Can anyone tell me if there was a solution offered or if there is a solution in the pipeline?

Editing our timeouts should be something any business decides and not just forced to a norm.  Seems bazaar to have a default non-configurable 30 minutes?  Consumption of licences is managed by the business, so not really a concern of qlik, you supply and we buy.

Ian_Crosland
Employee
Employee

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
wcilliers
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

I would also like to see this feature added please.

scottduthie
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Agreed - we're seeing a lot of complaints from our clients on this.

BPreasearch
Contributor III
Contributor III

Our company is experiencing a similar internal frustration with the timeout. Was wondering if this request has gotten any traction? Thank you in advance for any clarity.

SDT
Contributor III
Contributor III

This is a 'must have' feature. A significant downgrade from the Windows on-premise version.

davidwhite
Partner - Contributor III

We have a client wanting to have a dashboard displayed in the CEO's office. Having a timeout is unworkable in this situation and we have a very frustrated client with a CEO who who is thinking all the effort to build the dashboard was a waste of time and money. We need a change to extend timeouts in the SaaS version.

scottduthie
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

While we wait for a product upgrade to resolve the issues caused by a 30 min timeout, there might be a few workarounds to explore. I haven't built these - just making suggestions:

#1: If the dashboard in the CEO's office is static, and they are not needing to filter, you could use Application Automation to produce a PDF of the sheet in your app and store into a web server folder, and then create a mashup to display the PDF and refresh it each time a new PDF is generated. You might also want to build the mashup out of individual objects, however I'm not sure if automations can output images to be used in the mashup instead of a pdf.

These are your distribution options from Qlik Application Automation so you will have to customize something to get it to a virtual web directory after landing here:

• Amazon S3
  • Dropbox
  • FTP
  • Google Cloud Storage
  • SFTP

#2: You might be able to leverage a 3rd party plugin to trigger a refresh and also monitor disconnects. If doing with a mashup and the API, there is an event handler callback you can tap into if the session drops.  Other than that, you can use one of the plugins available on the web.  There are free ones, but you want to make sure this is supported and can also determine if the session drops off schedule or if there’s an engine failure.  You could also use the plugin on the pdf option mentioned above and not have to worry about sessions.  You would just refresh it on the same schedule the pdf is created.  If embedding the pdf in a mashup, then just regular javascript can be used to cycle the page.

davidwhite
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. The dashboard has a main sheet and then the ability to move between other sheets that have dashboards focussing on various parts of the business. I have managed to find a workaround that is working so far. Essentially it is a Chrome browser extension called "Tab Auto Refresh" that you can setup a refresh interval for. You need to set it up for each sheet, but it does remember the next time you are at that URL and it copes with filters as well.
The mashup idea and PDF Automation are also good ideas. The extension also option gives you the ability to use the full capability of the analytics app.