Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ordre
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

HP Gen9 Server

Dear All,

Do you have any chance to test or run QlikView on HP gen9 server? We have been prefering HP gen 8 servers. But now I wonder Gen9 performans and compliance with QlikView. I think using gen9  will not have critical issue, but I want to be sure if you have any surprising issue on Gen 9.

The only inportant specification on Gen 9, I think it is supported intel e5 v3 cpu family.

Any comment will be great?

HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 Server

Thnks

Emre

21 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Miguel, this is the one we got at first

HP DL580 Gen8 E7-4870v2

but in our case it was 4 times slower (no kidding) than our good old HP DL380 Gen 7 E5-2690 2.90GHz. Granted DL580 can handle way more users than DL380 but we needed speed not capacity.

I actually hear some complaints on DL580 from our Oracle team as well - DB appears to be running slower on these boxes, but they did not do such extensive tests like i did with QlikView.

In fact I ran 4 software benchmarking tools and all 4 showed very bad numbers for DL580 in memory tests comparing to our old Gen7 DL380 - you can check my post if you are curious

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Thanks for the info BorisMan I'll be checking them indeed.

If you want speed, definitely the E5 are the ones to go with, but if you need concurrency or capacity, our tests also measured the E7s and tests were fine. You will find more detailed info in the QlikView Scalability space.

Troy1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Miguel

For best speed & concurrent user performance what would you recommend out of below list.

2 socket vs 4, what should be chosen

2 socket:

E5-2697 v3 (14 cores) vs E5-2667 v3 (8 cores)

http://ark.intel.com/compare/83361,81059

any other you will recommend beside these 2.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Mohmed,

Between those 2, the E5-2667. The way it has the QPI ring built is more optimal for high demanding scenarios and huge memory sharing.

Apart from those, the E5-2690 is always a good choice, if not the best overall (for QlikView and Qlik Sense and in terms of performance in high resource usage environments).

Miguel

Troy1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks Miguel

What do you look for in QPI configuration? what is QPI difference between E5-2667 V3 and other 2697-V3 & 2690-V3. when i compre all 3 in below link. Only difference i see is # of cores & base & turbo frequency. QPI is same for all 3.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/83361,81713,81059

E5-2667 has only 8 cores hence you will end up with 16 total. Can 1 server handle 40 to 50 concurrent users while anchoring 20gb application. Is hyperthreding allowed.

I don't see E5-2667 in Qlik list of approved server?

Anonymous
Not applicable

our experience exactly, Miguel, I wish someone would tell us that we would save a lot of time and hassle

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Higher number of cores does not mean best performance when it comes to QlikView or more generally speaking, to any Uniform Memory Access apps (non-NUMA/Interleaved).

The E5-2667, being the smaller of those, has the most equitative QPI architecture, with a "ring" linking all 8 cores, 4 cores at each side (so to speak). However, the E5-2697 which has 14 cores that are unbalanced split in sides of 8 and 6, so one part of the bus will always be more loaded than the other.

Since the key for QlikView is allowing each processor to access as many memory as possible, and as even as possible, unbalancing this way could lead to eventual bottlenecks in some cores while others not so loaded.

Indeed, the E5-2667 is not in our whitelist, which does not mean it will not work, but that has not been tested in our labs. Same for the E5-2697.

Miguel

Troy1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks Miguel for great insight.

You suggested E5-2690 in earlier post as best overall. Does it share the same QPI architecture as 2667.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

The E5-2690 has proven the most powerful CPU out there for QlikView balancing both number of CPUs, available RAM and CPU speed. It does not share the same QPI configuration than the E5-2667, though.

Miguel

EDIT to my previous post: the E5-2697 v3 has been tested and is whitelisted as of Feb 2015

Troy1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Miguel

E5-2690 does it have balanced QPI 6X6 as it is 12 cores? meaning faster then 2697 in terms of thruput. However would be able to handle more concurrent users as it has 4 extra cores compared to 2667.

2690 also has large smart cache compare to 2667.

2667 has advantage on higher base frequency. Turbo boost is about the same.

we have narrowed our choice to those 2 CPU