ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

which way is faster?

Hello

I got expressions that I defined inside variables

and then inside my charts (pivot tables) I use these variables as expressions

the charts are created on separate sheets

is it faster to put the variables on the charts or write the content of the expressions instead?

I mean are variables being evaluated on every selection?

Please advise

I can walk on water when it freezes
3 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

If you use the same expression in several charts, use variables to store expressions instead of repeating the same expression in several places. Regarding performance, it would be a little faster. But it will save you time when having to write the same code several times.

If you only use the expression in one chart, write it directly in the chart, instead of storing into variables, unless you have some other people allowed to change those expressions using, for example, an excel file.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable

Hi,

As i have faced in one of my application:

I mentioned all the expressions in the variable and thn used the variable in the chart.

And further called variables in another variable.

As a result my charts got slowed down in calculation as the results shown were not correct at snap shot on open as it required time to calculate the variable .Its a good approch to use variable instead of writting expression each time but used in limitation and  it makes app slow.

So i avoided using nested variables. Also why to define variable when we u have to put them in expression, as whn u put variables as expression thn also it will evaluate it again for respective dimensions in the chart.

So i advice to use expression in charts.

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Ali,

Please check this post by Barry. Using variables helps to create abstraction layer and you can easily maintain the expressions. And I export the variables as Meta Data layer to store the expressions. I hardly notice difference in performance. Use expressions only if you think you don't re-use the expressions.

I hope this helps.

DV

www.QlikShare.com