cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qlikapple
Creator
Creator

run the qvw using batch file

I have one qvw which is placed in shared location( dev path  [\\hbeu.root.sap]).

every day users will cme and ask to refersh the qvw 2- times and the qvw is taking 5-10 minutes to refresh.

Now I want to automate that. I want to create a batch file and give the batch file to the users, 

everytime when they need, they can simply run the batch file so that dashboard will refresh automatically with ut manula intervention. Can anyone please help for this process.

Labels (1)
6 Replies
Taoufiq_Zarra

Hi,

Let's assume that the qlikview installation is in the folder :

C:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe

and the qvw file to update is :

file.qvw

creates a text file with the extension .bat

edit the file with the code:

"C:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe" /r "\\hbeu.root.sap\file.qvw"

this is the batch file

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

(you can mark up to 3 "solutions") 😉
qlikapple
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi taufiq,

I don't have .exe file . I have only QlikView(.qvw) file with me which is in the location

\\hbeu.root.sap\file.qvw

Taoufiq_Zarra

the batch will run from the user's machines?

"C:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe" is the path in the user's machine

the .bat will run on the user's machine

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

qlikapple
Creator
Creator
Author

HI Taufiq,

one more query , actually the users don't have QlikView in their machines. they are the business analysts. they just want to refresh  the qvw when they want. IS that possible, and alos can you please tell me how to execute batch file?

Taoufiq_Zarra

if they want to use Qlikview Disktop, users need to install qlikview, if you want you can add Section Access to the file.

to launch the .bat, just click on the file or use the free tools

Personally, I've used System Scheduler. It works very well, you add the .bat and program the updates !

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I believe the correct solution on this one would be an EDX trigger on the task that reloads the QVW file, which is available in both Reload Engine and Publisher scenarios...  

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/Q...

Taoufiq's suggestion would work, but the key issue with that solution is the need for each user to have a Desktop License or License lease from the QVServer in that case, as I would assume each would be coming in as themselves in which case the client would need to be licensed in order to actually run the batch reload.  

If you do have a Publisher license, there might be an even easier method, which would to set up those users as Document Administrators.  You would want that one QVW in its own Source Document Folder and grant those users access to that Source Doc folder, that would give them access to the QMC page to be able to trigger the task manually...

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/QMC/Content/QV_QMC/QMC_PublisherDocumentAd...

That is about the best I have to offer.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.