Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours - Bring your Ideation questions- May 15th, 11 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
radissoufan
Contributor
Contributor

is total time loading from qvd and to qvd files is better than loading data direct to qlik

hello,,

I'm new to qlik and I heard that we can use the QVD file to load large data to qlik...

that make me wonder.. is it really??

loading 6 Million records directly on qlik take me almost 30 min...

but from qvd, wow it take only 1 second to load it..

but the problem that loading data from source to qvd file takes also 30 min...

so both methods are the same...

can anyone explain to me what is the benefit of using (full cycle [read and write to qvd]) over (direct load) to qlik 

ami missing something...?

Labels (1)
6 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

It is recommended to use QVD for loading the data.

There are many advantages.

1. As you know, its faster

2. You can do incremental load.

3. You can use single QVD in multiple applications and make development faster.

and so on.

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
radissoufan
Contributor
Contributor
Author

about the first point ,,,

"its faster"

how time much it takes to load 40M records "TO" QVD file??? all of type number!

MikeW
Creator
Creator

If all you are doing is load from source and then be done, then it makes no difference. Qvd, being fast, gives you flexibility of better organizing and modularizing your application. For example you can test quick changes without having to load from source for 30min and also have subsequent logic reuse the qvd. It just gives you more options. I found it to be helpful for most nontrivial apps, but I use QDF quite a bit so qvds are almost always needed.
marcus_sommer

If the qvd's are loaded within the optimized mode which means that there is no further processing required on the data, something like:

load * from QVD.qvd (qvd);

it depends nearly complete on the performance from your used storage/network because the data within the qvd are so organized like they are used within the RAM - so it's just a transfer (the very small overhead of the xml-part of the qvd could be neglected).

- Marcus

CHansford
Luminary
Luminary

Hello Radissoufan,

In addition to what has already been said, it depends on what your use case is.

If you are reloading the same data from source , whilst developing then having an optimised QVD load is superfast in comparison to you sitting there for 30 mins waiting for the source data to load.

If I do the load scheduled to run overnight then I can set up a QVD generator to generate my data from the source once all updates have been completed and then produce the QVD for my app to use when I start work, instead of waiting 30 mins.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Just dropping the official Help link for QVD files as well for you to review, as that may prove useful too.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/QVD_files.htm

If you have the information you needed, please close out the thread by either using the Accept as Solution button on one of the existing posts, or multiple posts if more than one helped, and/or you could write up a final post yourself and once posted, use the button on it to mark it summarizing things.

If you have further questions, please provide an update.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.