Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Unexpected NULL behavior

I am near the point of insanity trying to figure this out.

Here is the background.

I have a Straight Chart in my application that is supposed to display either disconnected services, or returned items. Because those items come from different data sources, I started with an expression:

if((CustomerName=DiscCustName) or (CustomerName=RMACustomerName), CustomerName,Null()). This column was then set to suppress null results. The "CustomerName" field is from an orders table and is constant.

Yesterday I updated from QV10 to QV11.

I noticed that 2 of my rows went missing with my most recent reload. I hadn't made any loading script changes or any settings changes. I checked my data sources, and the information is present and identical in both source files.

(Screenshots are from QlikView Tech Brief "NULL and Nothing v3.")

Null Propagation.png

I thought that maybe there was a syntax change for the relational operators ("or"," and", etc.) ,so I began stripping away the operators and trying different relational operators but could not get an expected result. Finally I went to the simplest relationship I could think of... a string concatenate. I set my null and missing indicators to say "NULL" or "MISSING", just to be sure. I set up a column to evaluate RMACustomerName&DiscCustName, expecting to get a NON-NULL result. Based on the QV Tech Brief that is screen-shotted below. (Scroll Down)

Null String Concat.png

Instead I got the results in the chart below. THESE ARE SCREEN SHOTS from the SAME CHART. I have reversed the order of the operands. I've combed through all of the Chart and Document Settings. I am completely lost on what is happening. Please advise if you can.

ex1.pngex2.png

I cannot attach the APP because it contains protected information.

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I get your question, but it's kind of hard to resolve without seeing a sample file. You can address your privacy concerns by using the scrambling and reduction as explaiined here

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-1290

You may also consider proparing a hand coded simple example that contains just enough data to illustrate the problem. I often find that building such an example helps me to refine the problem statement and sometimes points out the resolution.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the  Scrambling Tip. I've attached a copy of the APP.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the  Scrambling Tip. I've attached a copy of the APP.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I don't see the attachement?

-Rob