Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Text String with different 'fields' within.

Hi,

I have an excel file with with data as follows:

DatePeriodValue
01/01/14Apr1510
01/01/14Aug1515
01/01/14Q2 15

01/01/14Q2 1625
01/01/14Summer1530

The 'Period' column contains text but rather than load one field as text I would like to convert this into date format. I can do this if the text was all 'Apr15,Aug15...etc.'

The problem is the column can contain Months 'Apr15' , Quarters 'Q2 15' , Seasons 'Summer15' or Years 'Dec12 - Dec13'.

Is there any way in the script to convert this table field into different chronologically date fields?

e.g.

Period as PeriodMonth

Period as PeriodQuarter

Period as PeriodSeason

This would allow me to select different periods using different selectors and allow tables to be in chronological order rather than A-Z due to the text string at the moment.

Thanks,

Peter

3 Replies
robert_mika
Master III
Master III

LOAD Date,

if(left(Period,1)='Q',left(Period,2)) as PeriodQuarter,

if(left(Period,4)='Summ' or left(Period,4)='Wint' or left(Period,4)='Autu' or left(Period,4)='Spri',mid(Period,1,len(Period)-2)) as PeriodSeason,

if(left(Period,3)='Sum' or left(Period,3)='Win' or left(Period,3)='Spr' or left(Period,3)='Aut' or left(Period,1)='Q',Null(),Left(Period,3)) as MonthPerdiod,

Value

FROM

[151465.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

Not applicable
Author

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

This does chop up the source text into different fields but they are still text and don't recognise the date element i.e. year. Therefore any of those created fields will still be ordered in text. Which is the original problem with just loading the one field 'Period'.

Basically I am looking to separate the information in the 'Period' Field into chronologically ordered separate components. I.e. recognise Aug-15, Jul-15, Q2 15, Q1 16, Summer15, Winter15 as date values &split them out into different fields.

Not sure if this is possible.

Thanks,

Peter

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

What would be the date value for Q1 16 or Summer15?