cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bharani8
Creator III
Creator III

Synthetic keys

Hi Experts - Just quick suggestion from you all...

Is Synthetic key good to keep while developing dashboard ? What are the Pros and Cons ?

If not, how do we overcome to avoid this ?

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe have a look at

Synthetic Keys

ramasaisaksoft

Hi Bharani,

No worries even though synthetic key is there in your developed Dashboard up to if your source data is same with ur QlikView dashboard data.(It means No of records are same in Data base and QV)

But it is commandeered to move synthetic keys in your data model it self.

Avoiding Synthetic keys Types:-

1. Alias name for Synthetic fields
  2. Remove un-necessary fields from data model
  3. Concatenate fields into one field
  4. Qualify the fields

Using QUALIFY

This enforces QlikView to qualify all/selected fields. Qualify implements the check on full path of the field (e.g. Field is designated by Tablename.FieldName).

Autonumber

If you need to concat the Syn Key candidate fields and create your own key, you can use Autonumber/Autonumberhash128/Autonumberhash256 function. This will create a unique integer value for each distinct combination of the concateneted columns.

Autonumberhash128 and Autonumberhash256 creates 128bit and 256bit values respectively.

One word of cauton using Autonumber is, as they are system generated, you do not have any control over the values. And for external QVDs, since the range of unique autonumber values are limited, uniqueness is not guranted. the hash128 and hash256 functions particularly address this issue and widens the range to ensure uniqueness.

Aliasing

If you alias the comflicting fields, i.e. the Syn Key candidate fields, they would be treated as different fields and will not be joined automatically by QV. This is a simple solution based on how flexible the requirements are, in renaming the fields.

Ofcourse you will find many other examples in this forum/QV manual that will strenthen your concept. This is my understanding from my experience with QV. Please let me know if it answers your question on my post.

You can read more from

http://community.qlik.com/message/183143#183143