Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chriys1337
Creator III
Creator III

Set Analysis: Error in Expression BUT it works?

Hi all,

I am using following Expression, in the "Edit Expression Window" it says: "Error in Expression".

sum({<$(vL.IgnoreOppDim), Year_Week={'$(vL.ActualCalenderWeekminus4)'}>}rev)

In the varialble I just put some fields which should be ignored, its like this in the script:

LET vL.IgnoreOppDim= '[Agreement Type]=,[Your Team]=,[Type of business]='

The funny thing is it works, do you have an idea why it says "Error in Expression" than?

Thanks a lot.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Syntax editor doesn't always understand your syntax and will show the red wiggly line. In your case, you are using a variable and syntax editor doesn't know what it will be evaluated to. Since it doesn't know, it shows an error message.

Personally, I rarely look into those wiggly lines if my expression is giving me the result I am looking for. In case it isn't working (or giving me the correct result), that is when I start to look at those wiggly lines and see what is exactly going on.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jaumecf23
Creator III
Creator III

This happens because in the Editor doesn't evaluate the variable and treats the variable as text and this is why it doesn't have sense for the Editor. When the full formula is calculated then the variable is also evaluated and this is why is working correctly.

sunny_talwar

Syntax editor doesn't always understand your syntax and will show the red wiggly line. In your case, you are using a variable and syntax editor doesn't know what it will be evaluated to. Since it doesn't know, it shows an error message.

Personally, I rarely look into those wiggly lines if my expression is giving me the result I am looking for. In case it isn't working (or giving me the correct result), that is when I start to look at those wiggly lines and see what is exactly going on.