Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Separate Data Modeller and UI Designer Roles?

I would like my data modellers to create the QV data load scripts based on the data they have access to and publish them which they can do now

However, I would like my UI developers and power users to be able to chose a script that they have access to (on the server) but not be able to modify the script or create a new script - so pick from a list of possible scripts only

My normal users can get read only access so for them there is no issue

I would also like to be able to limit my ui devs and power users access to the tables in my scripts based on permission group they belong to - ideally this would be part of the script - so they can just display the objects I want them to be able to display but those objects still exist - this is not intended for security purposes but to say to the ui dev you don't need to display this - without having to generate multiple versions of the dashboards.

Is any of this possible without a multitude of scripts/dashboards or the server processing via groups?

3 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I don't know if this is even possible at all. Who's going to stop a developer from importing a script but not modify it? There is some sort of contradiction in this requirement.

QlikView developers by definition have a lot of power. It's about the same with the data they use/need. You cannot tell a QlikView developer: go ahead, build a document that uses this data set, but don't you look at the actual values...

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Yes I see that you clearly don’t understand this request or are just trolling

I do not want everyone who works with QlikView to need to be a SQL or QV Script expert or need to know how the internal databases and tables work. When our dedicated QlikView developers have worked on the data model / script I want that effort to be re-usable by other people without modification – I want to decouple the script writing from the UI layout so that I can provide a qlikview document to someone with a ready made script that they have no possibility to modify (because it has already gone through testing and been signed off)

I don’t care how the data is then presented in the UI – and yes they can see the tables and structure of the finished data model – but they can’t introduce scripting errors/data errors by editing or replacing sections of that script. That way I don’t end up with 2 different teams using 2 different scripts or out of date scripts and my creative people can do what they do best without having to write sql queries or other nonsense they have no interest in.

Qlik Sense moves in this direction – why can’t QlikView?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

How about using QlikSense instead of QlikView ?

Or if you must stay with QlikView then create a QVD layer that has been tested / signed off.

Or use a tested / signed off qvw as a datamart and binary load from that.