cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpressey
Creator
Creator

Section Access 11.x versus 12.x

We had created a few Qlikview documents in 11.x that incorporated Section Access. These seem to work as designed only using NTNAME for access and not using passwords. We  are currently on November 2017 SR6 12.20.20700.0. These documents are now being replicated in the 12 environment for the purpose of integration with a different database. When testing user access on desktop by loading NTNAME as USERID, reloading the document and then reopening it, I am now always prompted for a password.

So I have three questions.

1) Did section access configuration change between 11 and 12?

2) Why would the original documents still seem to apply section access correctly?

3) Is there some way to disable password requirement in 12?

2 Replies
andrei_delta
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

hello,
i don't know very much about section access but i can tell you that if you are using USERID instead of NTNAME you have to assign a password to that user in your section access script.
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

The explanation as to why you are receiving prompt I believe is the NTNAME resolution is failing, so we are defaulting as fallback to the Userid/Password dialog as a last resort I believe.  If this fits, that will signify the issue, the question then becomes whether something is going wrong in the Section Access table load.  What I generally do in these cases is simply comment the Section Access line in the load scrip, so the table loads as a normal table in the data model, this way you can check things in the Data Viewer to be sure the links are as expected there, and then you can also use some list boxes to do some troubleshooting to see if everything is working properly.  

There were really no changes to Section Access, but be sure you review the Help on things, as one thing many customers miss is the need to have all field names and values in Section Access load in uppercase, some versions allowed lower or mixed case to work, but the engineers have been cleaning those up in later releases to where if you were doing that, it may not work now...

http://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2017/Subsystems/Client/Content/Security.htm

Sorry I do not have anything better, but hopefully this gives you some further information to continue troubleshooting things.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.