Skip to main content
Announcements
YOUR OPINION MATTERS! Please take the Qlik Experience survey you received via email. Survey ends June 14.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

SQL SELECT v LOAD

I think I understand that SQL SELECT selects specific records from a datasource and LOAD places those records into RAM/Qlikview document for use.  The question I have is that while LOAD places those records in the document, does SQL SELECT simply choose the records and then "hands them off" to the LOAD statement to be loaded ?  If so, why is an SQL SELECT not used with every LOAD statement?

3 Replies
fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

First of all, you do a sql select always you have to acces to a sql database or other type of relation data base, you will have to put the load command to get all the field you select in the sql command.

other case you can use the load, and use this command to load a resident tabke, or load some data from a .qvd that alredy exists.

the load command could be used in other type of load and could use some different table, not only sql select.

you could use Load with:

Resident tables

Inline tables

From QVD

From SAP TABLES

good luck

Fernando

maxgro
MVP
MVP

SQL SELECT read from database (you can use a LOAD before of SQL select but you can also don't use a LOAD)

if you read from a file (example) or from memory (a previously loaded table) you only need  a LOAD

more here

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2013/03/04/preceding-load

and all the loads here

LOAD data into QlikView

Not applicable
Author

LOAD pulls the data from the resident tables, so the data read from the data source is already completed and the data is available in RAM where as SQL SELECT directly reads from the data sources. So the performance using LOAD is much faster than with the SQL SELECT. additionally while reading from resident tables, we can work on transformations.