Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
polisetti
Creator II
Creator II

Renaming fields using variable

Hi Everyone,

My requirement is to change the table fields value to logical months by using another field. Below is the example:

Actual Table contains a field name as below and Data month field always contains one specific Month value- '1/1/2016' in DD/MM/YYYY format.

Now I need to change the below columns accordingly. ie.., Month 1 should change to the value present in Data Month and Month 2 should be Data date-1 and so on till Month 24.

Table FiledsI need
CustomerCostomer
AddressAddress
Data MonthData Month
Month 1Jan'16
Month 2Dec'15
Month 3Nov'15
Month ...Oct'
Month 24Jan'14

Could someone please guide me how to do this at the script level.

Thanks,

Jaswanth

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jaswanth,

With this code you can generate the fields that you want and rename it. Only change MakeDate(2016,1,1) by your max date or the Today date.

LET vNumRows = 24;

FOR i = 1 to $(vNumRows)

Data:

LOAD 'Month $(i)' as Month

AutoGenerate 1;

Next i

FOR i = 1 to $(vNumRows)

LET vMonthField = Peek('Month',$(i)-1,'Data');

DataNames:

LOAD

'$(vMonthField)' as MonthField,

Capitalize(Text(Date(AddMonths(MakeDate(2016,1,1),-($(i)-1)),'MMM. YY'))) as NewMonthField

AutoGenerate 1;

NEXT i

MappNames:

Mapping

LOAD

MonthField,

NewMonthField

RESIDENT DataNames;

RENAME Fields using MappNames;

Regards!!!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Below link will help.

http://www.learnallbi.com/renaming-fields-in-qlikview-using-mapping-load/

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Anil_Babu_Samineni

How you are calculating for I need??

What are the Month 1, Month 2, --- Month 24

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
ramasaisaksoft

Hi Jaswanth,

If possible create Inline load

else create a resident load with new column added

polisetti
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Everyone,

Here my requirement is something different to others. So, I cannot use mapping table because mapping table will be used for static column names. However, I need dynamic column names which will change in every run if Data date field has a new value.

I don't think Inline and Mapping table will be useful in this case. I need to pass Data Date value into a variable and need to write some loop type syntax. So, whenever there is a change in Data Date - the month's field names needs to be updated accordingly.

Please do the needful.

marcus_sommer

Beside the renaming topic I think you should consider The Crosstable Load‌ to get a "normal" data-structure - and if you used a crosstable you could create your period-values with an expression like:

addmonths(makedate(2016, 1, 1), keepchar(YourPeriodField, '0123456789') * - 1) as Date

- Marcus

t_moutault
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

try this :

Month1 = MonthName(Date#([Data month],'DD/MM/YYYY')

Month2 = MonthName(AddMonth(Date#([Data month],'DD/MM/YYYY'),-1)

Month3 = MonthName(AddMonth(Date#([Data month],'DD/MM/YYYY'),-2)

Month24 = MonthName(AddMonth(Date#([Data month],'DD/MM/YYYY'),-23)

hope this help !

polisetti
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Marcus,

The problem we are facing - Row count of the table is around 50 million records and if we convert months to pivot down- the row count will increase to 50 million*24 =1 billion 200 million records which will impact on the performance of reports and can also crash the QlikView reports.

Is there any other way to handle this problem?

-Jaswanth P

marcus_sommer

I think you will need to try several ways to create your datamodel and to design your objects and expressions within the gui to find a solution which fits to your performance-requirements (especially because there are probably some more tables and requirements and maybe X concurrent user - anywhere (CPU, RAM, ...) you will have your biggest bottleneck which might force you to a solution which will generaly work but could be a nightmare of developing and maintaining them ...

Of course to transform a big table of 50 M records per crosstable will take some time and RAM consumption (maybe the load could be sliced into several buckets and/or an incremental approach could be applied). Nevertheless this would be my first approach and I assume that aggregating 1200 M records over one single field would not perform slower than 50 M records over 24 fields - rather the opposite and the handling with one field is a lot easier as by 24 fields.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jaswanth,

With this code you can generate the fields that you want and rename it. Only change MakeDate(2016,1,1) by your max date or the Today date.

LET vNumRows = 24;

FOR i = 1 to $(vNumRows)

Data:

LOAD 'Month $(i)' as Month

AutoGenerate 1;

Next i

FOR i = 1 to $(vNumRows)

LET vMonthField = Peek('Month',$(i)-1,'Data');

DataNames:

LOAD

'$(vMonthField)' as MonthField,

Capitalize(Text(Date(AddMonths(MakeDate(2016,1,1),-($(i)-1)),'MMM. YY'))) as NewMonthField

AutoGenerate 1;

NEXT i

MappNames:

Mapping

LOAD

MonthField,

NewMonthField

RESIDENT DataNames;

RENAME Fields using MappNames;

Regards!!!