Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craig_powell
Contributor II
Contributor II

Referenced tables by sheet

Hi,

I have inherited a rather unwieldy application with a lot of disjointed  sheets, data sources, tables etc, etc.

My goal is to break up this application into a number of applications to make it more manageable,

This will be done by breaking the application down into "groups" of related sheets with each "group" becoming a new application.

However to do this and keep all current functionality, I must ensure that all the required tables/data sources be also "migrated" to each new application.

I am looking for a way to list all tables referenced by a sheet. I have this info at field level i.e. fields referenced by a sheet, but not table.

Is there any way to do this without looking at each object/etc on a sheet and manually collating a list?

Unfortunately, all previous technical knowledge of the application has left the company.

Thanks for any help

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

What you could start with use load the data into your new apps using a binary load from the original. That way you don't need to worry about missing any data.

As for analysing the document, you can use Document Analyzer

Note that fields are not related to sheets. A sheet contains objects like charts and in charts fields can be used as dimensions and in expressions.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
craig_powell
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Gysbert.

What you have described is what I have done re a binary load,

Document Analyzer gives me the fields that are referenced by an Object to one level, it doesn't seem to go any higher i.e. I can find out what fields a Bar Chart references by filtering on it's Object ID however if I filter by the Object ID of the sheet the Bar Chart is on it returns nothing. 

So I am then having to manually look up what table each field is from (I'm currently using the Mappings file from a Structure Export for this).  Then using a mapping I have already created, I am then able to determine which QVD and the appropriate load script sheet/s which needs to be migrated across to the new App containing that particular QV sheet.

I'm just  trying to make my task of identifying the table easier (and faster) by trying to skip the manual part.

I've also tried using the Governance Dashboard, however it doesn't look like the table structure of the Dashboard will support what I need.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

The Document Analyser loads all the data you need. You don't have to limit yourself to the pre-built charts. You can use the same data that's available to create a chart/table that shows the information you need in one overview.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand