Announcements
Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview automation

I need to create an external program that pre loads the sales data from sql server and stores it in a sales.qvd file. If I run the script from the open qvw file the data is loaded without errors, but from my vb program I am getting a HResult com error

{"Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."}

here is the code from vb program

Dim QvDoc As New QlikView.ActiveDocument

QvDoc = GetObject("....\marketing_sales_data\SalesLoader.qvw")

QvDoc.Reload()

QvDoc.CloseDoc()

Basically I need to retreive data from sql server and save in sales.qvd. What is the proper way of doing this?

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The proper way would be to use the command line syntax for QlikView and run a bat file or similar with:

C:\Path\Qv.exe /r C:\Path\QvFile.qvw

Another approach is to use QlikView Server/Publisher and reload on a schedule that way.

On a sidenote; to launch a QlikView instance from VBScript and run a reload you could use the following example. However, the Qv.exe /r Filename.qvw is a better solution.

rem ** VBScript **
set test= CreateObject("QlikTech.QlikView")
set newdoc = test.OpenDoc ("C:\Folder\Document.qvw","user","pass")
test.Reload
test.Save
test.Quit

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your great reply:

I got this to work :

Dim QvApp As New QlikView.Application

Dim QvDoc As QlikView.ActiveDocument

'Load sales from sql database and save results to sales.qvd file

QvDoc = QvApp.OpenDoc("...\marketing_sales_data\SalesLoader.qvw")

QvDoc.Reload()

QvDoc.CloseDoc()

However, the script opens Qlikview and the document and the script execution window as well. However these are closed when script completes. What is annoying and I can't fix the sql connection string. I specify the user and password but the login window appears all the same. I Will try your suggestion from the command line.
Here is my connection string
CONNECT TO [Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=SalesData;Password=DBPassword;Initial Catalog=SalesInformation;Data Source=SqlSeverDB;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation ID=XXXXXXX;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation when possible=False] (XPassword is DYPHRRRXXXAA@!#$4444);
Why is the login dialogbox still requesting the user password if I am supplying it in the string and how to fix?
Thanks in advance

Not applicable
Author

Hi Johannes

Your vbscript works similar to my vb code except I have the same problem of the database credentials login dialog box that opens and request the password eventhough I am supplying it in the connection string.

I have an idea, is it possible to create a sales.qvd file from vb using ole. This way I would execute the query from vb code and save results to the sales.qvd file without openning the qvw file?

Not applicable
Author

Here is my workaround for the login credentials dialog box.

In my VB prog I connect to my sql server and execute my query and save the dataset to a csv file

then I open my qvw document and load the contents of the csv and store it in the qvd file. I will post some sample code here shortly

Not applicable
Author

How can we make the vbscript execution wait for the document reload to finish? Currently when I execute the vbscript, it completes immediately but the Qlikview App reload is still executing.

Pravinkarne
Contributor II
Contributor II

It is possible to fully automate reports generation from Qlikview (Both PDF Aand Excel)

See below link - 

https://youtu.be/GtYxpd7WUbs